Pittsburgh Trib athletes of the week: South Fayette's Brian Coyne, Serra Catholic's Megan Sieg
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: South Fayette
Claim to fame: Coyne scored three goals in a South Fayette's 6-0 win over Obama Academy on Oct. 3. Coyne kicked seven extra points for the South Fayette football team in its 49-15 win over Quaker Valley on Oct. 4. Coyne has scored a team-high 18 goals this season.
Talk about the offensive success you've had this season.
I have to give credit to my team. I get great setups from the midfield to the back four. It really makes finishing easy for me. I have to give props to my team for getting me the goals that I have.
Is it difficult balancing playing soccer and kicking for the football team?
It's not as you may imagine. Coach (Rob) Eldridge and coach (Joe) Rossi are good friends. I go to football practice after soccer practice. If I have a game, I go to football earlier. It is an extra sport, but it's easier to handle because of my coaches.
What do you get more satisfaction from, kicking a game-winning goal or a game-winning field goal?
I really have never given that a solid answer. If I had to, I'd say both. I don't think one is better than the other.
What's the longest field goal that you've attempted and made?
I made a 54-yarder at a camp once. In a game, the longest I made and attempted was a 41-yarder this year and last year.
School: Serra Catholic
Claim to fame: Sieg scored four goals in a 7-0 win over Monessen in a Section 2-A game on Oct. 3. Sieg scored the Eagles' lone goal in a 2-1 loss to Charleroi on Oct. 7. She has 66 goals in her career, which is third in school history.
You've been scoring at will this season. What's your secret?
I missed my sophomore year and most of my junior year because of injury, so I've just tried to make up for lost time.
Did it ever cross your mind that had you remained healthy you could have topped the school record of 91 goals held by Michelle Manfredi?
Yes, I actually did think I'd have a chance. Injuries really just took their toll, so I just had to accept that.
Is this the healthiest you've been the last few years?
Yes. I have to stay healthy because we want to win our first playoff game. That's one of our goals.
Have you picked a college yet?
No, not yet. I've talked to Thiel, Westminster, Chatham and St. Vincent. I want to go to a school with a small environment that has a good physical therapy program.
— Brian Graham
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation small, putting effort into craft, taste
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- DNA evidence in alleged June 2013 rape leads to Latrobe man’s arrest