After brief snag, WCCA cross country meet will go as planned
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kiski Area senior Brent Kennedy will get a chance to capture his third consecutive Westmoreland County Coaches' Association cross country championship Thursday.
The boys' race begins at 1 p.m. followed by the girls race at 1:45 p.m. A combined junior varsity race will follow the girls race.
The race, which will be held for the first time at St. Vincent College, almost didn't occur after officials from the college informed the WCCA on Monday that it needed to purchase liability insurance.
WCCA treasurer Gene Brisbane, however, was able to secure the insurance Wednesday, and the race will be held. Brisbane said the association was told at its meeting last month it didn't need insurance. Kennedy breezed to wins in 2011 and 2012 at Seton Hill, where the association didn't need to purchase insurance or pay for the use of the facility.
But Brisbane said the coaches wanted to try something different, and Latrobe High School offered to host the event at St. Vincent.
The girls champion in 2012 was Latrobe's Hanna Green, who won the race twice.
The Kiski Area boys, led by Kennedy, are expected to win the title, while Franklin Regional and Norwin are expected to challenge the Cavaliers. Norwin, Kiski Area and Greensburg Salem are the favorites in the girls race.
The teams entered in the county championship are Kiski Area, Hempfield, Greensburg Salem, Latrobe, Penn-Trafford, Ligonier Valley, Derry, Yough, Norwin, Franklin Regional and Southmoreland.
Paul Schofield is staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Schofield_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Police arrest 14-year-old in connection to bomb threats phoned in to South Hills schools
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Parkway West ramps to be closed at Carnegie
- Mars Area superintendent resigns after short tenure
- Bomb threat prompts search at Norwin High School
- Ferrante defense says arrest of prosecutor’s boyfriend could affect case
- Penguins send down pair, Bortuzzo practices
- Truck wreck snarls traffic in Beaver County
- GOP governors don’t see ‘Obamacare’ going away
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker