After brief snag, WCCA cross country meet will go as planned
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kiski Area senior Brent Kennedy will get a chance to capture his third consecutive Westmoreland County Coaches' Association cross country championship Thursday.
The boys' race begins at 1 p.m. followed by the girls race at 1:45 p.m. A combined junior varsity race will follow the girls race.
The race, which will be held for the first time at St. Vincent College, almost didn't occur after officials from the college informed the WCCA on Monday that it needed to purchase liability insurance.
WCCA treasurer Gene Brisbane, however, was able to secure the insurance Wednesday, and the race will be held. Brisbane said the association was told at its meeting last month it didn't need insurance. Kennedy breezed to wins in 2011 and 2012 at Seton Hill, where the association didn't need to purchase insurance or pay for the use of the facility.
But Brisbane said the coaches wanted to try something different, and Latrobe High School offered to host the event at St. Vincent.
The girls champion in 2012 was Latrobe's Hanna Green, who won the race twice.
The Kiski Area boys, led by Kennedy, are expected to win the title, while Franklin Regional and Norwin are expected to challenge the Cavaliers. Norwin, Kiski Area and Greensburg Salem are the favorites in the girls race.
The teams entered in the county championship are Kiski Area, Hempfield, Greensburg Salem, Latrobe, Penn-Trafford, Ligonier Valley, Derry, Yough, Norwin, Franklin Regional and Southmoreland.
Paul Schofield is staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Schofield_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Beaver DA believes girls might have lived had dad responded faster
- Uber, Lyft can operate legally in Allegheny County — for now
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Interest high for Heinz Field soccer match between top Euro teams
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Greensburg pawn shop aids in arrest of home repair scam suspect
- Official: Air Algerie flight ‘probably crashed’
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Police clear brief standoff with man in Squirrel Hill