Guido: Through the years
Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
In the battle for the Antlers Trophy, West Deer held off a late East Deer rally to register a 20-16 victory on Oct. 25, 1963. Joe Paskorz scored two touchdowns, one on a 79-yard interception return before an overflow crowd at Braves Stadium.
Five years ago
• Ford City held Kittanning to 20 rushing yards in a 42-7 win over the Wildcats. The Sabers got two touchdowns apiece from Sean Kriley and Sam Repak.
• In a renewal of a rivalry dormant for 25 years, Mars scored the first three times it had the ball and rolled to a 28-0 victory over Knoch before a huge Saturday night crowd at the Mars Athletic Complex.
10 years ago
• Riverview shocked Eastern Conference co-champ Springdale, 6-0, at Riverside Park. Andrew Ardestani's 10-yard pass from C.J. Peters in the first quarter held up for the Raiders.
• Leechburg honored former coach Ellis McCracken before the game and treated him to a 27-14 victory over Wilkinsburg behind two Nathan Whitlinger scores.
20 years ago
• Sophomore Seth Hornack scored two Burrell touchdowns as the Bucs closed in on a WPIAL playoff spot with a 20-14 victory over Jeannette.
• Kittanning completed a successful return to football after a three-year hiatus with a 57-13 rout over Highlands. Matt Kutch ran for 121 yards and three touchdowns — all in the first half.
25 years ago
• Two big Kiski Area plays — a 68-yard run by Aaron Greenwood and a 64-yard pass from Dave Fields to Jason Klazon — propelled the Cavaliers to a 13-8 victory at Franklin Regional.
• Valley secured only the second playoff berth in the school's 22-year history with a 13-3 win at Burrell. Carl Johnson scored on runs of 36 and 23 yards
30 years ago
• Freeport closed in on a playoff berth as Rich Stewart caught touchdown passes of 44, 39 and 5 yards in a 31-8 win over Richland.
• Running back Chris Thorpe scored two touchdowns as playoff-bound Fox Chapel blasted Kiski Area, 38-0.
40 years ago
• Before an overflow crowd at Tarentum's Dreshar Stadium — Springdale's temporary home — the Dynamos shocked Freeport, 35-6, to take over first place in the AIC. Sam Sack scored two Dynamos touchdowns.
• Valley's Kevin Thrower carried for 207 yards and four touchdowns as the Vikings hammered Wilkinsburg, 34-6.
50 years ago
• Arnold spilled Leechburg from the undefeated ranks with an 18-6 road victory, holding the Blue Devils to 41 rushing yards. Lions defensive end Rich Fabian returned a interception 17 yards to start the scoring.
75 years ago
• Springdale defeated West View, 13-0. A 30-yard touchdown reception by sophomore Woodrow “Wicky” Howells proved to be a key play.
George Guido is a freelance writer.