Guido: Through the years
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
In the battle for the Antlers Trophy, West Deer held off a late East Deer rally to register a 20-16 victory on Oct. 25, 1963. Joe Paskorz scored two touchdowns, one on a 79-yard interception return before an overflow crowd at Braves Stadium.
Five years ago
• Ford City held Kittanning to 20 rushing yards in a 42-7 win over the Wildcats. The Sabers got two touchdowns apiece from Sean Kriley and Sam Repak.
• In a renewal of a rivalry dormant for 25 years, Mars scored the first three times it had the ball and rolled to a 28-0 victory over Knoch before a huge Saturday night crowd at the Mars Athletic Complex.
10 years ago
• Riverview shocked Eastern Conference co-champ Springdale, 6-0, at Riverside Park. Andrew Ardestani's 10-yard pass from C.J. Peters in the first quarter held up for the Raiders.
• Leechburg honored former coach Ellis McCracken before the game and treated him to a 27-14 victory over Wilkinsburg behind two Nathan Whitlinger scores.
20 years ago
• Sophomore Seth Hornack scored two Burrell touchdowns as the Bucs closed in on a WPIAL playoff spot with a 20-14 victory over Jeannette.
• Kittanning completed a successful return to football after a three-year hiatus with a 57-13 rout over Highlands. Matt Kutch ran for 121 yards and three touchdowns — all in the first half.
25 years ago
• Two big Kiski Area plays — a 68-yard run by Aaron Greenwood and a 64-yard pass from Dave Fields to Jason Klazon — propelled the Cavaliers to a 13-8 victory at Franklin Regional.
• Valley secured only the second playoff berth in the school's 22-year history with a 13-3 win at Burrell. Carl Johnson scored on runs of 36 and 23 yards
30 years ago
• Freeport closed in on a playoff berth as Rich Stewart caught touchdown passes of 44, 39 and 5 yards in a 31-8 win over Richland.
• Running back Chris Thorpe scored two touchdowns as playoff-bound Fox Chapel blasted Kiski Area, 38-0.
40 years ago
• Before an overflow crowd at Tarentum's Dreshar Stadium — Springdale's temporary home — the Dynamos shocked Freeport, 35-6, to take over first place in the AIC. Sam Sack scored two Dynamos touchdowns.
• Valley's Kevin Thrower carried for 207 yards and four touchdowns as the Vikings hammered Wilkinsburg, 34-6.
50 years ago
• Arnold spilled Leechburg from the undefeated ranks with an 18-6 road victory, holding the Blue Devils to 41 rushing yards. Lions defensive end Rich Fabian returned a interception 17 yards to start the scoring.
75 years ago
• Springdale defeated West View, 13-0. A 30-yard touchdown reception by sophomore Woodrow “Wicky” Howells proved to be a key play.
George Guido is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Woman shot outside Kennywood Park in West Mifflin
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Grandmother of boy dropped at Uniontown Hospital says he’s in ICU
- Pittsburgh’s tech startup activity rates last of 40 metro areas in report
- Starkey: Bring back the Brawl!
- Court attire can have impact, Allegheny, Westmoreland public defenders say
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015