Guido: Through the years
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Each Friday during high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
Ford City amassed 426 offensive yards in a 44-14 first-round Class AA victory over Keystone Oaks on Oct. 31, 2008. Brandon Carson and Sam Repak scored two touchdowns each for the Sabers.
Five years ago
• Highlands quarterback Jeff Sinclair ran for five touchdowns, and the Golden Rams routed Laurel Highlands, 49-14, in a WPIAL Class AAA opening-round playoff game.
10 years ago
• In the first home playoff game for Springdale, the Dynamos blanked South Side Beaver, 21-0. The Springdale defense limited the Rams to two first downs in the second half.
• Josh Shelton's fourth-quarter touchdown and Mike Duffy's extra point led Highlands to a late comeback over West Allegheny, 7-6, in first-round playoff action at Golden Rams Stadium.
20 years ago
• Valley's Eric Dudek hauled in a 59-yard pass from Dave Lacinski as the Vikings got by Highlands, 19-12, to clinch the Greater Allegheny Conference title.
• Burrell secured Allegheny Conference honors with a 31-0 win over Apollo-Ridge behind quarterback Benji Neuschwander, who ran for a touchdown, passed for another and kicked a 23-yard field goal.
25 years ago
• A 46-yard field goal by Riverview's John Tamburro with six seconds left lifted the Raiders to a 3-0 victory over host Leechburg.
• A 68-yard punt return by Ford City's Chris Skultety with 2:59 left gave the Sabers a 19-18 win over Deer Lakes.
30 years ago
• Knoch solidified its playoff berth by blanking Hampton, 39-0. A.J. Pagano ran for three touchdowns.
• Riverview, out of playoff contention until Clairton had to forfeit six games for using an ineligible player, burnished its credentials with a 12-6 victory at Brentwood behind two Rich Rossi TD runs.
40 years ago
• Springdale won the AIC title and a playoff berth with a decisive 42-14 win at Apollo-Ridge. Sam Sack scored four touchdowns.
• Valley won seven games in a season for the first time as the Vikings hammered Hempfield, 41-20, behind four Kevin Thrower touchdowns.
50 years ago
• Freeport secured a berth in the WPIAL title game for the first time in school history with a 21-7 victory at Leechburg. Chip Young scored two Yellowjackets touchdowns in front of 6,000 fans at Veterans Memorial Stadium.
75 years ago
• Arnold shocked Ken High, 26-6, behind Johnny Kalita, who scored on touchdown runs of 90 and 36 yards and boomed punts of 72 and 70 yards.
George Guido is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Unusual fruiting vines offer tasty options for Western Pennsylvania gardens
- PIAA boys basketball roundup: New Castle edges Strong Vincent
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Farrell routs Jeannette, 76-55 in PIAA Class A 1st-round game
- Norwin girls outlast Pine-Richland in thriller
- Chief: Aliquippa man’s death appears to be a homicide
- Pirates notebook: Pitching prospect Taillon makes steady progress
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Yankees 1
- Hyde Park woman, 38, faces sex charge with teen
- Beaver Falls bounces back, beats Meadville in PIAA Class AAA 1st-round game
- Police make drug bust in police parking lot