Pittsburgh Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Central Catholic's Ryan Sproule, Avonworth's Thanna Oddo
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Central Catholic
Claim to fame: Sproule scored four goals in a 5-0 win over Allderdice on Oct. 8 and had one goal in a 4-1 loss to Fox Chapel on Oct. 10. This season, Sproule has scored a career-best 17 goals.
Would you say this is your best season offensively?
Yes, definitely. I've been just getting the ball in the net more than usual, and it's my first time playing varsity.
How difficult was it for you to play at the varsity level?
We have a lot of good players. Last year, we had some of the strongest forwards in the WPIAL. I learned from them.
How do you think the Vikingswill fare in the playoffs?
I have a strong feeling that we have a shot at that WPIAL title this year as long as we play the way we know how.
Claim to fame: Oddo scored six goals in the Antelopes' 11-0 win over Eden Christian on Oct. 9 and had four goals in a 6-1 win over Seton-La Salle on Oct. 11. This season, Oddo had the best offensive output of her career, scoring 32 goals and dishing out 10 assists.
What's the secret to all the offense?
It has to start from the back forward. We have a very strong midfield and defensive back that's very helpful in keeping the ball up front, giving me more chances.
What are your expectations for the playoffs?
I think we are going to do really well. We're a really strong team that's centered together. We all have the same goals. We are really hoping to go to the final at Highmark Stadium.
Have you decided where you want to go to college?
I haven't decided et. But I do have it narrowed down to a few schools. I'm interested in Bethany, West Liberty (State), Westminster and St. Vincent.
— Brian Graham
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Pittsburgh a big draw for tourists on July 4th weekend
- Ligonier Township officer’s widow to file civil suit
- Steelers submit application to play host to Super Bowl in 2023
- Judge revokes bail for Plum High School teacher
- New Kensington residents rally in support of 82-year-old robbery victim