North Allegheny, Shady Side Academy capture WPIAL field hockey titles
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The drought is over for the North Allegheny field hockey team.
Junior forward Jessica Brandon made sure of that.
Brandon scored both of the Tigers' goals during a 2-1 win over Fox Chapel in the WPIAL Class AAA championship game Tuesday night at Newman Stadium.
Coupled with a 1-0 overtime win over Peters Township in the semifinals, Brandon has all three of her team's goals during the WPIAL playoffs, as North Allegheny claimed its 12th title — though its first since 2010.
“We've worked for this for so long,” Brandon said. “It's a dream to finally get it.”
A year ago, North Allegheny lost to Fox Chapel in the semis.
“It was a great moment (Tuesday) because it was definitely payback from last year,” Tigers coach Maddy Berkley said.
Next up, North Allegheny (14-3-1) will host Mifflin County in a play-in game at 6 p.m. Thursday for a shot at the PIAA Class AAA playoffs.
Brandon (15 goals) scored on a deflection and a blast from the right wing.
Fox Chapel (12-5-1) got a late goal from Nicole Susi.
Corby Wolfe scored a goal while playing forward for the first time in her high school career to carry Shady Side Academy to a 2-1overtime victory over Winchester Thurston in the Class AA championship game.
Wolfe chased a ball down the right wing and tapped it home with 60 seconds left in the first overtime.
“I never played forward before,” Wolfe said. “So this is really an amazing thing for me.”
The title is the third consecutive for Shady Side Academy, fourth in the past five years and 13th overall.
Wolfe entered the game about two minutes prior, a move coach Erin Weir made to use Wolfe's speed and hustle.
Sophie Burkholder scored early for Winchester Thurston (14-3-1). Sarah Anania tied it in the second half for Shady Side Academy (7-7-2).
Shady Side Academy will advance to the PIAA Class AA playoffs and face the District 5⁄6 play-in game winner Nov. 5, site and time to be determined.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- LaBar: Best next opponent for Brock Lesnar
- Rams take down TJ in season opener
- BVA breaks in new field by beating Trinity
- Defense sparks Freeport to Allegheny Conference victory over Shady Side Academy
- Bank of New York Mellon computer glitch examined for harm to investors
- Clairton picks up where it left off, rout California, 72-0
- Leader Times roundup: Karns City rolls in opener
- Connellsville Area School District to honor Hall of Fame inductees
- Charleroi can’t survive Scotties’ thunder
- High temperatures, low gas prices could entice 30.4M holiday travelers