Ligonier Valley cross country team concludes season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the District 6 PIAA cross country championship meet Oct. 26 at Forest Hills, the Ligonier Valley High School Rams competed to qualify for the Pennsylvania State Championship Meet at Hershey. Unfortunately the competition concluded as the first time in the past 10 years that the Ligonier team will not have a representative in the Pennsylvania State Championship meet.
Stephanie Heming and Gina McKlveen were the top two individual contenders for a spot at the State Meet. Out of the 62 runners Heming finished in ninth place one place over the qualifying number. McKlveen took 13th place. Rounding out the team was Olivia Miller, Jasmine Connor, Rachel Allison, Elizabeth Keller and Hannah Patrick. The Rams girls team finished third out of 10 AA teams competing.
On the boys side the team finished in the middle of the pack at fifth place. Carlos Chavez was the first Ligonier runner to cross the finish line in 11th place, three spots shy of qualifying for the state meet. Chavez's running mates were Tanner Solich, Nate Hockenberry, Joseph Tomosky, Kyle Lundquist, Evan McNulty and Ben Meade.
The Ligonier Valley teams participated Oct. 17 in the Heritage Conference cross country championship meet at Marion Center.
Chavez crossed the finish line in fourth place with a time of 19 minutes 8 seconds and teammate Sam Maust snagged 15th place.
The Rams boys team were hoping to three peat as the champions, but they concluded the meet in fourth place.
On the girls side, Heming scored a fourth-place finish at 22 minutes 23 seconds. Teammates McKlveen logged in seventh, Miller snagged 12th, Allison finished 17th and Connor, 19th. The Rams girls team earned a second-place finish for the second year in a row.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- UPMC researcher died of acute cyanide poisoning, medical examiner says
- Police still looking for man suspected of robbing 2 people at knifepoint in Ambridge
- No decision yet on charges against elderly driver who struck and killed pregnant woman
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Magicians stage effort to restore Houdini’s grave
- Icy roads cause accidents, slow traffic across Western Pa.
- Witnesses help identify 2nd teen charged in killing Andre Roberts
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Photo of suspect in Greendale Tavern burglary/fire released
- Boyce Park, Seven Springs, Hidden Valley ski resorts open today
- Washington Co. couple sues Range Resources over drilling, water