Ligonier Valley cross country team concludes season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the District 6 PIAA cross country championship meet Oct. 26 at Forest Hills, the Ligonier Valley High School Rams competed to qualify for the Pennsylvania State Championship Meet at Hershey. Unfortunately the competition concluded as the first time in the past 10 years that the Ligonier team will not have a representative in the Pennsylvania State Championship meet.
Stephanie Heming and Gina McKlveen were the top two individual contenders for a spot at the State Meet. Out of the 62 runners Heming finished in ninth place one place over the qualifying number. McKlveen took 13th place. Rounding out the team was Olivia Miller, Jasmine Connor, Rachel Allison, Elizabeth Keller and Hannah Patrick. The Rams girls team finished third out of 10 AA teams competing.
On the boys side the team finished in the middle of the pack at fifth place. Carlos Chavez was the first Ligonier runner to cross the finish line in 11th place, three spots shy of qualifying for the state meet. Chavez's running mates were Tanner Solich, Nate Hockenberry, Joseph Tomosky, Kyle Lundquist, Evan McNulty and Ben Meade.
The Ligonier Valley teams participated Oct. 17 in the Heritage Conference cross country championship meet at Marion Center.
Chavez crossed the finish line in fourth place with a time of 19 minutes 8 seconds and teammate Sam Maust snagged 15th place.
The Rams boys team were hoping to three peat as the champions, but they concluded the meet in fourth place.
On the girls side, Heming scored a fourth-place finish at 22 minutes 23 seconds. Teammates McKlveen logged in seventh, Miller snagged 12th, Allison finished 17th and Connor, 19th. The Rams girls team earned a second-place finish for the second year in a row.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Pitt men’s basketball adds junior-college guard
- Bryant suspension opens doors for other Steelers’ receivers
- Starkey: The kick returner and the grizzly bear
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison believes Goodell will prevail in Brady ruling
- Risks don’t get any better as online dating prospers
- Steelers trade 6th-round pick for Jaguars kicker Scobee
- Honored Westmoreland youth counselor sought in theft of money from clients
- Potential suspension of Pennsylvania AG’s license unusual
- Pitt defense is entering new season with something to prove