Shady Side Academy earns 3rd straight field hockey title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy field hockey juggernaut rolls on.
The Indians defeated Winchester Thurston (14-3) in overtime 2-1 on Oct. 29 to claim their third straight WPIAL Class AA title.
It was the Indians' 13th WPIAL championship.
Sophomore midfielder Corby Wolfe, who entered the game two minutes earlier, scored the winner with one minute left in overtime. She got an assist from Sarah Anania, who scored SSA's earlier goal to tie the game in the second half. An assist went to Lucy Buckman.
Wolfe was put into the game at forward, a position she had never played before.
“Corby is an aggressive player who hustles,” SSA coach Erin Weir said. “Our forwards needed a break, and she had fresh legs so I thought I would try her. I'm glad I did.”
Weir said she is proud of the team's effort.
“They had to work hard to make it this far,” Weir said. “We have come a long way from the beginning of the season, and I loved watching their excitement. It continued the entire bus ride home.”
Weir said the Indians focused to much on defense early, but fought hard and battled back after falling behind.
“Thankfully the girls were able to turn that around,” Weir said. “I thought Winchester was fantastic.
“I knew the girls would feel confident going into the overtime, but I wasn't convinced there would be an overtime until the buzzer sounded. Winchester was so strong the entire game that I thought they could score up to the last second.
“Since we just played a double-OT (game) with Ellis, I knew that the girls could be strong in OT and I knew they were comfortable with overtime play.”
The Indians were scheduled to begin PIAA play Nov. 5. Results of that game were not available at press time.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers
- Allegheny County committee to hear about Ebola readiness
- Steelers’ defense rebounds after shaky 1st quarter, forces Texans into mistakes
- Steelers dial up 2-point play for Brown’s TD toss
- Penn State notebook: Dieffenbach might return to help Lions’ offensive line
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- 12 selected for jury in Ferrante cyanide-poisoning trial
- Injured Pitt center Rowell plays well-rounded role on campus
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Rostraver woman victim of home invasion
- Expert: Stress level rises for Americans who forfeit vacation