Fox Chapel rally falls short in WPIAL field hockey finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Last year, North Allegheny lost to Fox Chapel in the WPIAL Class AAA field hockey semifinals.
The Tigers got a big taste of revenge Oct. 29 as they edged the Foxes, 2-1, in the WPIAL championship game.
Jessica Brandon scored both of the NA goals, and Nicole Susi had an unassisted goal for the Foxes late in the game.
“It was too little and too late,” FC coach Jen McCrady said. “We got off to a slow start, and we didn't show anything until the final 10 minutes.
“Give credit to North Allegheny. They played a great game. They came out fast and hungry and outhustled us from the start.”
McCrady said Fox Chapel came on strong in the second half.
“It definitely started to happen for us in the second half, but we just ran out of time. We got stronger as the game when on, while NA started to show some fatigue.”
The coach also said the team got an exceptional effort from senior goalie, Hannah D'Cunha.
“Overall, this season was amazing,” McCrady said. “Our seniors — D'Cunha, Rachel Wight, Cat Clarke, Adelaide Jones, Taylor Banas and Mackenzie Kline — led us to a section title and our fourth championship game in five years. They will be missed.”
Fox Chapel (12-5-1) had several players receive postseason recognition.
WPIAL 2-AAA all-star selections were sophomore Maggie McIlroy, freshman Megan McCrady and Susi, also a sophomore.
“Two sophomores and a freshman,” McCrady said. “Our future is bright.”
McIlroy was also awarded all-WPIAL honors, and Banas and junior Elizabeth Savin received 2-AAA honorable mentions.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- Wintry weather in forecast for Mon-Yough area
- Race for Pennsylvania’s 39th Legislative District one to watch
- Police: Man wanted in fatal ambush of Pennsylvania trooper finally captured
- Twin Rivers COG takes another step toward finalizing merger with Steel Valley
- Rossi: The best Penguins defense is ... a potent offense