Fox Chapel rally falls short in WPIAL field hockey finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Last year, North Allegheny lost to Fox Chapel in the WPIAL Class AAA field hockey semifinals.
The Tigers got a big taste of revenge Oct. 29 as they edged the Foxes, 2-1, in the WPIAL championship game.
Jessica Brandon scored both of the NA goals, and Nicole Susi had an unassisted goal for the Foxes late in the game.
“It was too little and too late,” FC coach Jen McCrady said. “We got off to a slow start, and we didn't show anything until the final 10 minutes.
“Give credit to North Allegheny. They played a great game. They came out fast and hungry and outhustled us from the start.”
McCrady said Fox Chapel came on strong in the second half.
“It definitely started to happen for us in the second half, but we just ran out of time. We got stronger as the game when on, while NA started to show some fatigue.”
The coach also said the team got an exceptional effort from senior goalie, Hannah D'Cunha.
“Overall, this season was amazing,” McCrady said. “Our seniors — D'Cunha, Rachel Wight, Cat Clarke, Adelaide Jones, Taylor Banas and Mackenzie Kline — led us to a section title and our fourth championship game in five years. They will be missed.”
Fox Chapel (12-5-1) had several players receive postseason recognition.
WPIAL 2-AAA all-star selections were sophomore Maggie McIlroy, freshman Megan McCrady and Susi, also a sophomore.
“Two sophomores and a freshman,” McCrady said. “Our future is bright.”
McIlroy was also awarded all-WPIAL honors, and Banas and junior Elizabeth Savin received 2-AAA honorable mentions.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- 5 arrested on firearm, drug charges in Spring Hill
- Derry water outage may be resolved by 5 p.m. Sunday, authority says
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Governor signs death warrant for convicted Fayette killer
- Boy with fake gun dies after being shot by Cleveland cop
- Allegheny County adoption event joins 40 children with families
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration
- Police investigating shooting outside of Monessen bar