Fox Chapel rally falls short in WPIAL field hockey finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Last year, North Allegheny lost to Fox Chapel in the WPIAL Class AAA field hockey semifinals.
The Tigers got a big taste of revenge Oct. 29 as they edged the Foxes, 2-1, in the WPIAL championship game.
Jessica Brandon scored both of the NA goals, and Nicole Susi had an unassisted goal for the Foxes late in the game.
“It was too little and too late,” FC coach Jen McCrady said. “We got off to a slow start, and we didn't show anything until the final 10 minutes.
“Give credit to North Allegheny. They played a great game. They came out fast and hungry and outhustled us from the start.”
McCrady said Fox Chapel came on strong in the second half.
“It definitely started to happen for us in the second half, but we just ran out of time. We got stronger as the game when on, while NA started to show some fatigue.”
The coach also said the team got an exceptional effort from senior goalie, Hannah D'Cunha.
“Overall, this season was amazing,” McCrady said. “Our seniors — D'Cunha, Rachel Wight, Cat Clarke, Adelaide Jones, Taylor Banas and Mackenzie Kline — led us to a section title and our fourth championship game in five years. They will be missed.”
Fox Chapel (12-5-1) had several players receive postseason recognition.
WPIAL 2-AAA all-star selections were sophomore Maggie McIlroy, freshman Megan McCrady and Susi, also a sophomore.
“Two sophomores and a freshman,” McCrady said. “Our future is bright.”
McIlroy was also awarded all-WPIAL honors, and Banas and junior Elizabeth Savin received 2-AAA honorable mentions.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Pirates manage to stumble on the bases in bid for sweep of Giants
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Fire causes Blairsville bar to collapse, flames spread to neighboring building
- Former Shady Side Academy standout set to take field for Pitt
- Wiz Khalifa’s life not the same, but he’s still having fun