Pittsburgh Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Hampton's Ryan Luther, Vincentian's Brenna Wise
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Luther's game-high 30 points led Class AAAA No. 1 Hampton to a 74-34 rout of Norwin in the Penn-Trafford Tournament's title game Saturday. Luther — a Pitt recruit — netted 17 points in Hampton's 74-53 win over Penn-Trafford on Friday.
Rate how you played this past weekend.
I guess as a team, we were all just excited to get the season going. I thought I played OK, but not as well the first game as the second. Individually and as a team, I think our best game was the second game.
What can we expect from Hampton this year?
Coming up short the last few years, I think we'll be more focused and, hopefully, that will put us over the top.
What are your personal goals for your senior year?
Most of my goals are team oriented and that's winning WPIALs and winning states. I don't have any goals as far as states. I just want us to win as much as possible.
What are you going to do this year to improve yourself for the college game?
I think I'm going to work on all of my skills. I think as a team, we've been working on our strength, so I've been working a lot on getting stronger. Basic drills are going to be important, too.
Claim to fame: Wise scored a game-high 31 points for Class A No. 1 Vincentian in its 70-60 win over No. 2 Serra Catholic in the Serra Catholic Tip-Off Tournament championship game Saturday. One night earlier, Wise had a game-high 21 points in a 76-31 rout of Allderdice in the tournament's opening round.
How good is it for the team's confidence to beat Serra Catholic this early in the season?
It definitely builds our confidence, but we won't let it get to our head. It shows us that we are capable, and watch out Single-A we're coming for unfinished business.
Are you happy with how you played in the opening weekend?
I'm definitely pleased with the way I played. I know I can always get better and make improvements. I'm more impressed with how our team played. We all played hard and gave our all.
Does being ranked No. 1 by most media outlets put added pressure on you guys?
We don't really pay attention to rankings. We just go out and understand we have to take care of business either way.
Have any colleges been reaching out to you yet?
I have offers from Dayton, Pitt, Villanova and Virginia Tech. I'm looking at Harvard and Princeton. I'm just keeping my options open.
— Brian Graham
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Charges against Wash High aide accused of having sex with student withdrawn
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- DEP grants 18-month extension to stormwater control effort
- Washington County cardiology practice denies it deliberately overbilled for services
- Falling bricks close 2 Squirrel Hill businesses
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Company pulls out of Lawrence County casino project
- Penguins slip past Sharks, 3-2, in shootout
- Bishop Canevin’s Sonson sisters sign with Chatham softball
- Penguins’ Letang leaves hospital, out with concussion
- Driver airlifted after truck slams into utility pole in Sewickley Township