Daily News spotlight athletes: South Allegheny's Ty Cook, West Mifflin's Taylor Thomas
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: West Mifflin
Claim to fame: Thomas scored 29 points in a 60-41 win over Obama Academy in the consolation game of the McKeesport Tipoff Tournament on Saturday. The senior scored 17 points in a tough 50-49 loss to McKeesport in the opening round.
How long have you been playing basketball?
I've been playing ever since I was around 6. It's always been a lot of fun to play. My dad played when he was younger and he encouraged me to play.
What are your goals for this season?
Just to play as a team and stay as one. Also, we want to try to win the section, go to Palumbo, and then get to Hershey (for the state championship).
What class do you enjoy the most?
Other than lunch, I would say psychology. I like Mr. Horgan. He's really nice and really funny.
What are your plans for college?
I don't have any real idea where I want to go yet, but I would definitely love to play wherever I go.
Who do you consider a role model or leader in your life?
Honestly, I would say myself. I know that sounds bad, but a lot of people doubted me a few years ago. I got shot three times in the back ,and I wasn't supposed to walk again. But I made it back. Other than that, I would say my mom and my dad.
School: South Allegheny
Claim to fame: Cook scored a team-high 25 points in a 52-26 victory over Southmoreland in the consolation game of the Brownsville Tipoff Tournament on Saturday. The senior also scored 12 in a 50-32 loss to Elizabeth Forward on Friday night.
“This is Ty's first year playing basketball for us,” coach Tony Dicenzo said. “He didn't come out for the team last year but for not ever playing before he's pretty skilled. He is definitely doing to improve our team. He's going to add some scoring, and we were definitely offensively challenged at times last year. He's a good athlete and a competitor that brings toughness. He's a really strong kid and will certainly help us.”
— Robert Stinner
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Hit sends Penguins’ Letang to hospital
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Downie’s goal, fight spark Penguins to win over Coyotes
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of a union retiree’s pension
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Probiotic bacteria help conquer ‘superbugs’
- Starkey: Next frontier for Steelers offense
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Man rescued from sinkhole in McKeesport