Daily News spotlight athletes: South Allegheny's Ty Cook, West Mifflin's Taylor Thomas
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: West Mifflin
Claim to fame: Thomas scored 29 points in a 60-41 win over Obama Academy in the consolation game of the McKeesport Tipoff Tournament on Saturday. The senior scored 17 points in a tough 50-49 loss to McKeesport in the opening round.
How long have you been playing basketball?
I've been playing ever since I was around 6. It's always been a lot of fun to play. My dad played when he was younger and he encouraged me to play.
What are your goals for this season?
Just to play as a team and stay as one. Also, we want to try to win the section, go to Palumbo, and then get to Hershey (for the state championship).
What class do you enjoy the most?
Other than lunch, I would say psychology. I like Mr. Horgan. He's really nice and really funny.
What are your plans for co llege?
I don't have any real idea where I want to go yet, but I would definitely love to play wherever I go.
Who do you consider a role model or leader in your life?
Honestly, I would say myself. I know that sounds bad, but a lot of people doubted me a few years ago. I got shot three times in the back ,and I wasn't supposed to walk again. But I made it back. Other than that, I would say my mom and my dad.
School: South Allegheny
Claim to fame: Cook scored a team-high 25 points in a 52-26 victory over Southmoreland in the consolation game of the Brownsville Tipoff Tournament on Saturday. The senior also scored 12 in a 50-32 loss to Elizabeth Forward on Friday night.
“This is Ty's first year playing basketball for us,” coach Tony Dicenzo said. “He didn't come out for the team last year but for not ever playing before he's pretty skilled. He is definitely doing to improve our team. He's going to add some scoring, and we were definitely offensively challenged at times last year. He's a good athlete and a competitor that brings toughness. He's a really strong kid and will certainly help us.”
— Robert Stinner
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Ebola watch lists to shrink
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Scottdale appoints borough solicitor
- Customers rarely utilize right to cancel a contract
- Pittsburgh photo exhibit shines light on ‘Good’ work
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Harrisburg insider, newcomer battle over change in Pa.’s 46th Senate District
- Monessen police break up fight