Valley high school roundup: Deer Lakes boys use 3-pointers to end losing streak
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Deer Lakes let the 3-pointers fly on the way to breaking a five-game losing streak.
The Lancers boys basketball team fired in 10 3-pointers and posted their first victory since opening night, beating Karns City, 57-40, in a nonsection game Monday in West Deer.
The game also was the team's home opener.
Four Deer Lakes (2-5) players made two 3-pointers. Scott Ventura led the Lancers with 17 points. Cory Pampena didn't hit a 3 but made all seven of his free throws and chipped in 11 points.
Deer Lakes held Karns City to three points in the second quarter.
Hampton 77, Knoch 38 — Class AAAA No. 1 Hampton (8-0) started fast and handed host Knoch (6-1) its first loss of the season in a nonsection game. Pitt recruit Ryan Luther scored a game-high 23 points for the Talbots, who led 26-4 after the first quarter.
Jack Obringer added 12 points and David Huber had 11 for Hampton.
David Gallagher led Knoch with 16 points.
Neshannock 87, Ford City 45 — Jesse Sequeira and Blake Bower scored 11 points each for Ford City (4-4), but it wasn't enough in a nonsection loss to Neshannock (6-1), which had 12 players score.
Matt McKinney scored 22 points, and Ernie Burkes had 21 for the Lancers. That duo combined for seven 3-pointers.
Hampton 64, Kiski Area 12 — Lexi Griggs scored 15 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for the Talbots (4-3) in a nonsection win over Kiski Area (0-7).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- ATI picket injured at Harrison mill
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- Despite being suspended, Boyd still making contributions for Pitt
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Pitt’s Narduzzi names 4 captains
- ‘Action’ against AG Kane sent to Supreme Court, sources say
- Trib Total Media puts 9 Western Pa. newspapers up for sale
- Cops nab 4 in Monessen drug hangout