Despite realignment, Daily Courier football teams staying put
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL's Board of Control met Tuesday and released its conference realignments for the next two high school football seasons. Many of the changes were necessitated by changing enrollment figures. However, no local teams were moved from their current conferences.
Connellsville will remain in the Quad East, along with Altoona, Hempfield, Kiski, Latrobe, McKeesport, Norwin and Penn-Trafford. The one change to the conference is that Gateway no longer will compete in the Quad East.
The Gators moved from Quad-A to Class AAA and will compete in the Greater Allegheny Conference. Plum will replace Gateway in the Quad East, making a move from the Quad Central.
The teams in the Class AAA Big 9 Conference remain exactly the same. Those teams include Uniontown, Laurel Highlands, Albert Gallatin, Belle Vernon, Elizabeth Forward, Ringgold, Thomas Jefferson, Trinity and West Mifflin.
In Class AA, Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland will remain members of the Interstate Conference, along with Brownsville, Charleroi, Washington and Waynesburg. However, the conference will have a bit of a new look as Burgettstown, Derry and McGuffey have replaced Greensburg Central Catholic, Jeannette and Yough. Jeannette and Greensburg Central Catholic have dropped to Class A and will play in the Eastern Conference. Yough moves up to Class AAA and will compete in the Greater Allegheny Conference. Burgettstown and McGuffey will be making the move from the Class AA Century Conference while Derry drops down from the Class AAA Greater Allegheny Conference.
Frazier will remain in the Class A Tri-County South. The Commodores will be joined by familiar foes Avella, Bentworth, Beth-Center, Carmichaels, Jefferson-Morgan, Mapletown and West Greene. Geibel, which was a member of the conference, will not be playing a WPIAL schedule this season due to low numbers that have negatively impacted the program in recent seasons. The Gators will be eligible to rejoin the WPIAL in football after the upcoming two-year cycle ends. California replaces Geibel in the Tri-County South. The Trojans switched from the Class A Black Hills Conference.
In boys soccer, Southmoreland will move from Section 6-AAA and will join Mt. Pleasant, Burrell, Derry, Greensburg Salem, Indiana and Valley in Section 1-AAA.
Geibel's girls soccer team will move from Section 4-A to 2-A, joining Bentworth, Beth-Center, Charleroi, Chartiers-Houston, Monessen, Serra and South Allegheny.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- West Homestead man taken into custody after 8-hour standoff in Hempfield
- Pirates cut 12, including outfielder Tabata and pitcher Lincoln
- Bodies of Kochu, Gray found in Ohio River in West Virginia
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Roberto Clemente Bridge closes for construction of bike lanes
- State police seek info on police impersonator in Export
- Jury convicts East Hills man in ‘party bus’ shooting
- Aldi to open store where Bottom Dollar closed in Garfield
- Pa. woman charged with forging docs to claim she was an attorney
- Freshman arrested in Burrell High School bomb threat