Despite realignment, Daily Courier football teams staying put
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL's Board of Control met Tuesday and released its conference realignments for the next two high school football seasons. Many of the changes were necessitated by changing enrollment figures. However, no local teams were moved from their current conferences.
Connellsville will remain in the Quad East, along with Altoona, Hempfield, Kiski, Latrobe, McKeesport, Norwin and Penn-Trafford. The one change to the conference is that Gateway no longer will compete in the Quad East.
The Gators moved from Quad-A to Class AAA and will compete in the Greater Allegheny Conference. Plum will replace Gateway in the Quad East, making a move from the Quad Central.
The teams in the Class AAA Big 9 Conference remain exactly the same. Those teams include Uniontown, Laurel Highlands, Albert Gallatin, Belle Vernon, Elizabeth Forward, Ringgold, Thomas Jefferson, Trinity and West Mifflin.
In Class AA, Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland will remain members of the Interstate Conference, along with Brownsville, Charleroi, Washington and Waynesburg. However, the conference will have a bit of a new look as Burgettstown, Derry and McGuffey have replaced Greensburg Central Catholic, Jeannette and Yough. Jeannette and Greensburg Central Catholic have dropped to Class A and will play in the Eastern Conference. Yough moves up to Class AAA and will compete in the Greater Allegheny Conference. Burgettstown and McGuffey will be making the move from the Class AA Century Conference while Derry drops down from the Class AAA Greater Allegheny Conference.
Frazier will remain in the Class A Tri-County South. The Commodores will be joined by familiar foes Avella, Bentworth, Beth-Center, Carmichaels, Jefferson-Morgan, Mapletown and West Greene. Geibel, which was a member of the conference, will not be playing a WPIAL schedule this season due to low numbers that have negatively impacted the program in recent seasons. The Gators will be eligible to rejoin the WPIAL in football after the upcoming two-year cycle ends. California replaces Geibel in the Tri-County South. The Trojans switched from the Class A Black Hills Conference.
In boys soccer, Southmoreland will move from Section 6-AAA and will join Mt. Pleasant, Burrell, Derry, Greensburg Salem, Indiana and Valley in Section 1-AAA.
Geibel's girls soccer team will move from Section 4-A to 2-A, joining Bentworth, Beth-Center, Charleroi, Chartiers-Houston, Monessen, Serra and South Allegheny.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in North Oakland
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- 3 in Westmoreland charged in prescription narcotics operation
- District attorney rejects polygraph deal in molestation case
- Pitt’s 2015 schedule includes 5 road games in 1st 7 games
- Kennametal plans plant closings, job cuts; fallout from oil and gas decline
- Highmark members to keep maternity care at Magee in 2015
- Normally tight-lippped Marshawn Lynch fires back at critics
- San Francisco blaze kills Mission District resident
- Homeland chief says cuts over immigration puts U.S. at risk
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center