HS Buzz: South Fayette's Brumbaugh, North Catholic's Long honored
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Two of the WPIAL's top championship performers were honored this week with selection to the MaxPreps All-American Football Team.
Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic senior lineman Ryan Long (6-foot-2, 250) was named first-team offense for the small schools team, and South Fayette junior quarterback Brett Brumbaugh (6-4, 200) — the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Player of the Year — was recognized as an offensive second-teamer on the medium-schools team.
Long was an all-state selection and helped the Trojans win WPIAL and PIAA Class A titles. Brumbaugh, also the state's player of the year, threw for 3,917 yards and 41 touchdowns for the WPIAL and PIAA Class AA champion Lions.
Coaches vs. Cancer at Geneva
Geneva College in Beaver Falls will a play host to a full slate of top-flight basketball matchups next Saturday as part of the Coaches vs. Cancer Clash of the Titans.
Highly-ranked teams and Division I prospects highlight a boys schedule that includes Hampton vs. Central Valley at 3 p.m., East Liverpool, Ohio vs. Central Catholic at 4:30, Montour vs. Mt. Lebanon at 6, Kiski School vs. Lincoln Park at 7:30 and Beaver Falls vs. New Castle at 9.
Hampton and Central Valley girls will play at 1:30 p.m.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Notre Dame President Hesburgh expanded school, improved academics, fought for civil rights
- McKeesport Area students share views during Black History Month panel talk
- White Oak seeks funds to stabilize road
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Duquesne Elementary School students join the ranks of junior constables
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- Pittsburgh police chief: Officers, public must unite against violence
- Apollo to improve safety
- Temp slowly rising