HS Buzz: South Fayette's Brumbaugh, North Catholic's Long honored
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Two of the WPIAL's top championship performers were honored this week with selection to the MaxPreps All-American Football Team.
Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic senior lineman Ryan Long (6-foot-2, 250) was named first-team offense for the small schools team, and South Fayette junior quarterback Brett Brumbaugh (6-4, 200) — the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Player of the Year — was recognized as an offensive second-teamer on the medium-schools team.
Long was an all-state selection and helped the Trojans win WPIAL and PIAA Class A titles. Brumbaugh, also the state's player of the year, threw for 3,917 yards and 41 touchdowns for the WPIAL and PIAA Class AA champion Lions.
Coaches vs. Cancer at Geneva
Geneva College in Beaver Falls will a play host to a full slate of top-flight basketball matchups next Saturday as part of the Coaches vs. Cancer Clash of the Titans.
Highly-ranked teams and Division I prospects highlight a boys schedule that includes Hampton vs. Central Valley at 3 p.m., East Liverpool, Ohio vs. Central Catholic at 4:30, Montour vs. Mt. Lebanon at 6, Kiski School vs. Lincoln Park at 7:30 and Beaver Falls vs. New Castle at 9.
Hampton and Central Valley girls will play at 1:30 p.m.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Many Penguins free agents expected to depart
- More witness intimidation charges filed against Plum teacher
- Scaife trustees seek dismissal of siblings’ lawsuit
- American Airlines manager arrested in Pittsburgh on sex crimes charges
- Suspected allies of beach gunman arrested in Tunisia
- Kuwait mosque bomber slipped security watch in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain
- Penguins re-sign defenseman Cole to 3-year deal
- Shady Side Academy graduate Harchelroad excels in 3 sports
- Deer reporting failures spark debate for Pa. Game Commission
- Scouts think Penguins could regain luster with minor tinkering
- High school notebook: Hempfield softball star Ryan commits to Notre Dame