Greensburg Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Kiski Area's Joe Brungo, GCC's Nikki Adisey
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Kiski Area
Claim to fame: Brungo, who is averaging 16.9 points for Kiski Area (10-4, 6-1), scored 22 points in a 62-57 win over Latrobe in Section 1-AAAA action on Friday. Brungo, who will be a football walk-on at Pitt, also had 28 points in an 80-58 win against Keystone Oaks in the Hampton Tournament on Dec. 28.
“This year, I have had to play a different role. I need to be more of scorer compared to last year,” Brungo said. “I have been doing a better job in scoring and getting the team in a better position to win.”
How did the transition from role player to scorer go?
It was pretty difficult. I had to bring myself back to my seventh- and eighth-grade days.
Why did you decide on Pitt?
My family has gone there, and I have been a fan of Pitt. I have wanted to play football for Pitt ever since I was little. I'm still undecided on what I want to major in.
If you had a superpower, which one would it be?
Being able to be invisible to see what people say and think about you when you are not there.
School: Greensburg Central Catholic
Claim to fame: Adisey, who is averaging 13.6 points, scored 22 points to lead Greensburg Central Catholic (11-3, 7-0) to an 82-26 win over Jeannette in Section 3-AA action Jan. 13. Adisey also led GCC with 21 points in a 72-54 win over McKeesport in the Coaches vs. Cancer Backyard Brawlz on Saturday.
What has been the key to your team's success lately?
I think losing was so hard for us with the last loss to Blackhawk. We have been concentrating on winning instead of losing. We know what we have done wrong in games, and we are trying to improve on that.
What have you been doing to improve on defense?
I just think defense wins games. It's more of a team effort. It's just not only offensive, but you got to work on defense as well.
Which sport do like more, basketball or softball?
I like both evenly. I like how basketball is a faster pace and there is a lot more running. Softball is more of a team sport, like when you field the ball, you have to throw it to somebody else.
What is one thing people might not know about you?
I like to ski. I went to Seven Springs all (last weekend). I like to go on North Face at Seven Springs.
— Andrew John
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Fleury’s demeanor helps keep Penguins loose, him playing his best
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- Penguins make moves in advance of roster deadline
- Experience, familiarity giving Canevin girls soccer a boost
- War party targets Putin & Assad