Griffiths, Beistel lead 6 Southmoreland wrestlers into WPIAL Class AA championships
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Six Southmoreland wrestlers will be competing in the WPIAL Class AA Championships thanks to top-five finishes at the Section 2 tournament Saturday at Charleroi.
Austin Griffiths (113 pounds), Evan Myers (132) and Jacob Beistel (285) each won a section championship. Griffiths beat Jefferson-Morgan's Brendan Howard, 5-0, in the finals. Myers followed with a 2-0 championship victory over Yough's Teddy Charletta. Beistel beat Jefferson-Morgan's Ian Wolfe, 3-1, in overtime for the heavyweight title.
Cole Lambie (106) finished in second place after dropping a 12-4 major decision to Bentworth's Hunter Neely in the finals.
The Scotties' Brennan Coles (170) finished in fourth place, and Anthony Wise (120) garnered a fifth-place finish. Bentworth's Paul Mizia pinned Coles in a third-place match. Wise notched a 7-0 decision over Jefferson-Morgan's Aaron Mylan in a fifth-place match.
“All of our kids wrestled well and I was really proud of the boys,” Southmoreland coach Ryan Shaw said. “This time of year it's about advancing each round, and half of our boys did that. If we wrestle like we did this past weekend, we could send all six to regionals. Each week gets tougher, but this is what we trained for all year. We are just going to keep going the way we have and continue to sharpen our skills and conditioning.”
The six wrestlers will compete in the WPIAL Class AA Championships on Friday and Saturday at Chartiers Valley.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lower Burrell couple charged with 6 misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty
- Woman accused of prescription scheme
- New Kensington dedicates fireworks festivities to longtime coordinator
- Funeral planned for Connellsville teen who died in crash
- Connellsville fireworks display gets change of site
- State store relocates to Highlands Mall
- Brackenridge gets $98K federal grant to fund waterline project
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- New trial sought in 1977 murder case
- Pam Porterfield: Church events, family reunions, benefits abound in Fayette County
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers