Mt. Pleasant, Southmoreland among local teams affected by winter realignment
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL has announced its realignment plans for winter sports teams, effective for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
In boys basketball, Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland will remain in Section 3-AAA, however, Laurel Highlands and Uniontown will move to Section 4-AAA.
The teams replacing the Raiders and Mustangs are Indiana, Kittanning and West Shamokin. Derry, Greensburg Salem and Yough will remain in Section 3-AAA as well.
Frazier will be slotted from Section 5-AA to 4-AA.
Beginning next season, the Commodores will have Carmichaels, Waynesburg, Bentworth, Beth-Center, Brownsville and Charleroi as rivals in boys basketball.
Geibel will remain in Section 3-A, but the section will have a new look with the addition of California, Jefferson-Morgan and West Greene, which will drop down from Class AA.
Avella, Mapletown and Monessen also will remain in Section 3-A. Carmichaels and Clairton no longer are in the section.
In girls basketball, Laurel Highlands will be dropping down from Class AAAA and will join Mt. Pleasant, Southmoreland, Uniontown, Derry, Greensburg Salem, Indiana and Yough in Section 3-AAA.
Frazier will move up to Class AA and will compete with Bentworth, Beth-Center, Carmichaels, Charleroi, Washington and Waynesburg in Section 4-AA.
The Geibel girls, along with Monessen, will move from Section 4-A to Section 3-A and will have Avella, California, Fort Cherry, Jefferson-Morgan, Mapletown and West Greene as section opponents.
There were no major changes in alignment for local wrestling teams.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?
- Penn State to announce new athletic director
- Washington Co. man arrested on child porn charges
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- National city organization chooses Pittsburgh for 2016 gathering
- Kerry says no deal yet for 7-day truce in Gaza
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger contract extension until after season
- Motorcycle runs off road in Butler County, kills Shaler man
- Small plane goes down near Grove City