Mt. Pleasant, Southmoreland among local teams affected by winter realignment
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL has announced its realignment plans for winter sports teams, effective for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
In boys basketball, Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland will remain in Section 3-AAA, however, Laurel Highlands and Uniontown will move to Section 4-AAA.
The teams replacing the Raiders and Mustangs are Indiana, Kittanning and West Shamokin. Derry, Greensburg Salem and Yough will remain in Section 3-AAA as well.
Frazier will be slotted from Section 5-AA to 4-AA.
Beginning next season, the Commodores will have Carmichaels, Waynesburg, Bentworth, Beth-Center, Brownsville and Charleroi as rivals in boys basketball.
Geibel will remain in Section 3-A, but the section will have a new look with the addition of California, Jefferson-Morgan and West Greene, which will drop down from Class AA.
Avella, Mapletown and Monessen also will remain in Section 3-A. Carmichaels and Clairton no longer are in the section.
In girls basketball, Laurel Highlands will be dropping down from Class AAAA and will join Mt. Pleasant, Southmoreland, Uniontown, Derry, Greensburg Salem, Indiana and Yough in Section 3-AAA.
Frazier will move up to Class AA and will compete with Bentworth, Beth-Center, Carmichaels, Charleroi, Washington and Waynesburg in Section 4-AA.
The Geibel girls, along with Monessen, will move from Section 4-A to Section 3-A and will have Avella, California, Fort Cherry, Jefferson-Morgan, Mapletown and West Greene as section opponents.
There were no major changes in alignment for local wrestling teams.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Jack Bruce, bassist of 60s band Cream, dies at 71
- Flight 93 memorial fire hints at struggle to safeguard historic artifacts
- Cafeteria worker tried to stop Washington school shooter
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Penguins look to buck shots, goals trend
- Fábregas: Cancer-stricken California woman chooses to plan her death
- I-79 off-ramp in Cranberry to close Saturday night