Butler County spotlight athletes: March 2, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Scott scored seven goals in a three-game stretch to help Butler continue its hot streak heading into the PIHL Penguins Cup Class AAA playoffs.
Butler has built some momentum toward the end of the season with a string of wins. What has been the key?
Everyone is noticing what the time is. We have 11 seniors, so their time is running out. Everyone is putting in the work we all should be. Everyone is playing their role. We have scorers, playmakers and grinders. We're playing pretty well defensively and frustrating teams.
You've been on a scoring run lately. What's behind that?
I am playing with some great linemates (Matt Tomasovic and Jake Campbell). We have a great group of seniors who have helped me out a lot this year. It means a lot to the underclassmen that they really do try to help us.
This is your first year with the team and it looks like you've handled the adjustment to varsity hockey well?
I play amateur hockey, and this is my first year playing high school hockey. Both styles of leagues are different. I am getting used to it. It's been nice. I really like high school hockey this year.
How much are you looking forward to experiencing the playoffs?
Everyone in the locker room is getting pretty focused. Everyone is talking about all of the other teams. It's nice to hear everyone talking about it and everyone does care. I have been looking forward to it for a while. Hopefully, we'll be playing well when that time comes around.
Claim to fame: Sheehy helped Mars claim a share of the Section 1 title and reach the WPIAL Class AAA playoffs.
It was a tough playoff loss to Central Valley, but your team was right there the entire time, so is that one positive to take away from the game?
We knew it was going to be a big game. At halftime, we were winning, I was really proud. We just lost it in the end. I am proud we made it, but definitely disappointed because we could have gone a lot further.
It'll be something to motivate me even more and set goals higher.
Overall, are you pretty happy with the season?
Definitely. I would have liked to have had another win over Hampton. But, I am very proud of what we did this season.
How great was it to beat Hampton and share the section title?
I'll be really excited to see 2014 on the section championship banner in the gym. Knowing that year is up there with my team is great.
Beating them gave us some confidence. If we could beat a good team like them, we had a good chance against anyone else.
Mars returns all five starters next year, including you. How excited are you for next season?
It'll be great because we worked so well together. We'll have even more time to be together in the offseason. By next season, we'll be even more experienced than last year.
— Joe Sager
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PixController of Murrysville honored by Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania for camera trained on Pittsburgh eagle nest
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Fallowfield Township increases road crew
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Antiques appraiser shares expertise with Mon Valley crowd
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Fire causes Blairsville bar to collapse, flames spread to neighboring building
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’