Armstrong bowling team gets 2 top-10 finishes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Armstrong's first high school bowling season concluded with a pair of top-10 finishes.
Jared Shaner placed sixth in the singles event, and Armstrong's boys team was seventh in the team event at the Pennsylvania state championships, which were held Friday and Saturday at North Versailles Bowling Center.
Shaner, a junior from Ford City, missed the cut for the five-man stepladder final by just seven pins. He finished the qualifying round with a six-game total of 1,191. Hempfield's Javon Trout finished atop the qualifying list and won the championship match of the stepladder to earn the state title.
In the team final, Armstrong finished seventh out of 16 teams with a total of 3,776 pins. Shaner led the team with a 595 series, and Owen Zablocki and Jacob Bowser rolled 552 and 551, respectively. Rounding out the Armstrong score was a 506 by Evan Shaffer and a 484 by Josh Barnett, along with Baker series scores of 519 and 569 by the team.
Eastern Pennsylvania representative Pennsbury upset Hempfield in the team championship match after Hempfield finished atop the team qualifying scores with a 4,085.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sports camps added at East Franklin’s Belmont Complex
- Memorial Day marked with several events in Kittanning
- McKeesport mayor believes city’s ceremony reflects Memorial Day’s true meaning
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Cops: Man shoots 11-year-old with BB gun in McKeesport; boy critical
- Accident at West Virginia’s Cheat Lake sends boaters to hospital
- Consistency keeps Cellone’s Bakery customers coming back
- LaRosa Boys & Girls Club of McKeesport remembers war dead
- With space to spare, Pittsburgh International draws corporate jet carrier
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- ‘Rock-a-thon Queen’ keeps on rockin’ for Vincentian fundraiser