Armstrong bowling team gets 2 top-10 finishes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Armstrong's first high school bowling season concluded with a pair of top-10 finishes.
Jared Shaner placed sixth in the singles event, and Armstrong's boys team was seventh in the team event at the Pennsylvania state championships, which were held Friday and Saturday at North Versailles Bowling Center.
Shaner, a junior from Ford City, missed the cut for the five-man stepladder final by just seven pins. He finished the qualifying round with a six-game total of 1,191. Hempfield's Javon Trout finished atop the qualifying list and won the championship match of the stepladder to earn the state title.
In the team final, Armstrong finished seventh out of 16 teams with a total of 3,776 pins. Shaner led the team with a 595 series, and Owen Zablocki and Jacob Bowser rolled 552 and 551, respectively. Rounding out the Armstrong score was a 506 by Evan Shaffer and a 484 by Josh Barnett, along with Baker series scores of 519 and 569 by the team.
Eastern Pennsylvania representative Pennsbury upset Hempfield in the team championship match after Hempfield finished atop the team qualifying scores with a 4,085.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery sent explicit emails
- West Newton man found dead in helicopter wreckage near Rostraver Airport
- Truck accident closes all inbound lanes of Parkway West
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘pretty special’
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans