Armstrong bowling team gets 2 top-10 finishes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Armstrong's first high school bowling season concluded with a pair of top-10 finishes.
Jared Shaner placed sixth in the singles event, and Armstrong's boys team was seventh in the team event at the Pennsylvania state championships, which were held Friday and Saturday at North Versailles Bowling Center.
Shaner, a junior from Ford City, missed the cut for the five-man stepladder final by just seven pins. He finished the qualifying round with a six-game total of 1,191. Hempfield's Javon Trout finished atop the qualifying list and won the championship match of the stepladder to earn the state title.
In the team final, Armstrong finished seventh out of 16 teams with a total of 3,776 pins. Shaner led the team with a 595 series, and Owen Zablocki and Jacob Bowser rolled 552 and 551, respectively. Rounding out the Armstrong score was a 506 by Evan Shaffer and a 484 by Josh Barnett, along with Baker series scores of 519 and 569 by the team.
Eastern Pennsylvania representative Pennsbury upset Hempfield in the team championship match after Hempfield finished atop the team qualifying scores with a 4,085.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tipton named conference dual-award winner
- Washington Township daughter savors turkey farm tradition
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Christmas Cheer Club back to aid needy Mon Valley kids
- Pitt’s Dixon searching for answers in Maui
- ‘Nutcracker’ offers even more treats for Grand Theatre audience
- Robert Morris falls at Chattanooga in Battle 4 Atlantis
- Mother remembered for selfless generosity
- Poachers blamed for wounding bear that killed pets in Connellsville Twp.
- Duquesne police arrest Wilkinsburg man on drug, weapon charges