New coach likes talent on Fox Chapel boys lacrosse team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel boys lacrosse team hopes to improve on last year's 9-8 record, and new coach Chris McCrady feels he has the talent on hand to accomplish that goal.
“Let's say I'm quietly optimistic,” he said. “We have some hard-working seniors who have carried this program for the last few years, and they want to get into the playoffs this year. We lost a lot of players to graduation, but we have our top three scorers coming back.”
Those three are senior captain Alden Stone (attack) and sophomores Tucker Root (attack) and Levi McCrady (midfield).
“Most of our graduation losses were on defense so we expect offense to be one of our strengths,” McCrady said. “We're still looking for depth on the offensive end, though.”
Aside from Stone, the other three captains are seniors Andy Casile (midfield), Colin Kielbasa (attack) and Greg Fiorillo (defense).
“Greg is a newcomer who played soccer,” McCrady said. “He impressed his teammates enough with his attitude and work ethic that they chose him as a captain. The whole team has been working hard. They've bought into what we're trying to accomplish as coaches.”
McCrady hasn't settled on a goalie yet, but he's in a good situation at the position.
“We have three great goalies in Ben Klaas (senior), Dan Docimo (junior) and JP Ramassina (freshman),” he said. “We're in good shape in goal.”
An area of concern for McCrady is faceoffs.
“We didn't win enough faceoffs last year, but we're confident heading into the season with Potter Seybolt (senior), Antoine Lagasse (junior) and Charlie Fletcher (sophomore) handling the faceoffs.”
The Foxes will have a roster of 40 players, and McCrady is glad to have such depth.
“We have a lot of athletic players on the team, and we'll need the depth with us being in a tough section. Franklin Regional, Shady Side Academy, North Allegheny and Pine-Richland are always tough, but we're hoping to be one of the four teams that make the playoffs.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big Bang ‘waves’ go poof under analysis
- Rossi: History beckons for Seattle’s Seahawks
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- High school notebook: Apollo-Ridge’s Tre Tipton says Pitt can’t dwell on lost recruits
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Penn State New Kensington loses 4th in a row as rally comes up short
- Penguins minor league notebook: Rookie Wilson emerges as 3rd-line NHL prospect
- Freeport’s Romanchak to sign with Robert Morris
- Alle-Kiski roundup: Fox Chapel boys basketball team posts 5th straight win
- No more room on iPad? You’ll need to trim some of that fat