Banquet honors top prep players in Westmoreland County
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Some of the top student-athletes in Westmoreland County will be honored at the 58th annual awards banquet sponsored by county Judge John J. Driscoll on April 29 at Ferrante's Lakeview in Hempfield.
The county's 18 athletic directors, along with the Driscoll committee, reviewed this year's candidates Thursday and voted on the 12 finalists, as well as the male and female winners, which will be announced at the banquet.
“We had a lot of excellent candidates,” Driscoll said. “Many were pretty even. But it was pretty cut and dried who the winners are after looking at the vote. We have two great winners of the Excellence Award.”
The 12 finalists, all seniors, were Belle Vernon's Jake Sweitzer, Franklin Regional's Charan Singh and Alyssa Ruffing, Greensburg Central Catholic's Frannie Crouse, Hempfield's Bridget Guy and Amanda Kedzierski, Greensburg Salem's Kenneth Clark, Kiski Area's Brent Kennedy, Mt. Pleasant's Luke Liprando and Jordan Toohey, Southmoreland's Paige Weaver, and Valley's Cody Schrecongost.
Carl Davis, who coached basketball at Jeannette High School and Indiana (Pa.) University from 1970-83, was named the winner of the John and Michael Ferrante Award, given annually to a person for contributions to high school athletics.
Ken Macha, a former Pirates player and manager of the Athletics and Brewers, will serve as guest speaker. Macha said he plans to talk about giving more than 100 percent to what one wants to do in life.
PIAA champion wrestlers Devin Brown and Spencer Lee of Franklin Regional, Luke Pletcher and Zack Zavatsky of Latrobe, Cam Coy of Penn-Trafford and Steven Edwards of Burrell, along with the winning PIAA 400-meter relay team of Bridget Guy, Maddie Holmberg, Lauren George and Jasmine Jones of Hempfield also will be honored.
Tickets are available through the schools.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sony hack signals new, public front in cyber warfare
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- PSU employee kicks cancer, picks up degree
- Harmar-based company’s expansion into Tarentum adds jobs
- Pitt survives Oakland’s upset bid with overtime victory