Franklin Regional reschedules events following tragedy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Schools around the WPIAL typically reschedule numerous sports contests each spring because of rain or other weather-related reasons.
Last week's stabbing incident at Franklin Regional broke completely new ground.
Franklin Regional postponed or canceled nearly two dozen athletic events scheduled for Wednesday through Saturday of last week after the stabbings at the school, which left 20 students and a security guard injured. The cancellations and postponements affected teams at the varsity, junior varsity and junior high/middle school levels.
As of Monday, many of the games had been rescheduled for this week. Several games remained unscheduled, including a girls lacrosse game at Pine-Richland and a boys lacrosse game against North Allegheny.
The district also postponed three athletic events on Monday: the boys tennis match against Connellsville and junior varsity/varsity baseball games against Plum. The tennis match will be played at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, with the baseball makeup dates to be announced.
Doug Gulasy is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him 412-388-5830, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Accused Franklin Regional stabber allowed 1-hour furlough to pay respects to grandmother
- Fire ravages Armstrong County meat packing plant
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- Steelers notebook: RT Gilbert not in danger of losing his job
- DA’s decision on retrial of man shot by police overshadows civil lawsuit
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge
- Pittsburgh Public evacuates 3 schools after voicemail threat
- Penguins notebook: Martin not concerned about expiring contract
- Embattled VFW mulls image among declining numbers