Franklin Regional reschedules events following tragedy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Schools around the WPIAL typically reschedule numerous sports contests each spring because of rain or other weather-related reasons.
Last week's stabbing incident at Franklin Regional broke completely new ground.
Franklin Regional postponed or canceled nearly two dozen athletic events scheduled for Wednesday through Saturday of last week after the stabbings at the school, which left 20 students and a security guard injured. The cancellations and postponements affected teams at the varsity, junior varsity and junior high/middle school levels.
As of Monday, many of the games had been rescheduled for this week. Several games remained unscheduled, including a girls lacrosse game at Pine-Richland and a boys lacrosse game against North Allegheny.
The district also postponed three athletic events on Monday: the boys tennis match against Connellsville and junior varsity/varsity baseball games against Plum. The tennis match will be played at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, with the baseball makeup dates to be announced.
Doug Gulasy is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him 412-388-5830, via email at email@example.com .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County public works director leaves job
- Beaver DA believes girls might have lived had dad responded faster
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Man tries to lure teen into white van in Hempfield, police report
- Uber, Lyft get tentative PUC permission to operate in Allegheny County
- Retail theft attempt turns violent in Monroeville store parking lot
- Gateway School District gets a little more clear on backpack policy
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Beaver County deputy ordered to stand trial for obstruction, false swearing
- Ringgold School Board bans book in haste