Franklin Regional reschedules events following tragedy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Schools around the WPIAL typically reschedule numerous sports contests each spring because of rain or other weather-related reasons.
Last week's stabbing incident at Franklin Regional broke completely new ground.
Franklin Regional postponed or canceled nearly two dozen athletic events scheduled for Wednesday through Saturday of last week after the stabbings at the school, which left 20 students and a security guard injured. The cancellations and postponements affected teams at the varsity, junior varsity and junior high/middle school levels.
As of Monday, many of the games had been rescheduled for this week. Several games remained unscheduled, including a girls lacrosse game at Pine-Richland and a boys lacrosse game against North Allegheny.
The district also postponed three athletic events on Monday: the boys tennis match against Connellsville and junior varsity/varsity baseball games against Plum. The tennis match will be played at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, with the baseball makeup dates to be announced.
Doug Gulasy is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him 412-388-5830, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Charges advance for men accused in police scuffle at Fort Ligonier Days
- Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
- Hempfield man receives long-overdue Bronze Star for World War II service
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- Ford City family needs $10K for dog that detects seizures
- PPG submits offer for French sealants, adhesives business unit
- Child abuse suspect apprehended, his mom charged
- Longtime Greensburg District Judge Albert will seek fifth term
- Trib 30 stocks drop to four-month low
- UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide