Franklin Regional reschedules events following tragedy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Schools around the WPIAL typically reschedule numerous sports contests each spring because of rain or other weather-related reasons.
Last week's stabbing incident at Franklin Regional broke completely new ground.
Franklin Regional postponed or canceled nearly two dozen athletic events scheduled for Wednesday through Saturday of last week after the stabbings at the school, which left 20 students and a security guard injured. The cancellations and postponements affected teams at the varsity, junior varsity and junior high/middle school levels.
As of Monday, many of the games had been rescheduled for this week. Several games remained unscheduled, including a girls lacrosse game at Pine-Richland and a boys lacrosse game against North Allegheny.
The district also postponed three athletic events on Monday: the boys tennis match against Connellsville and junior varsity/varsity baseball games against Plum. The tennis match will be played at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, with the baseball makeup dates to be announced.
Doug Gulasy is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him 412-388-5830, via email at email@example.com .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins pushing to sell playoff tickets
- Missing Sewickley teen found safe
- Penguins stars Crosby, Malkin enduring playoff slump
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Highmark asks patients to ‘Meet Dr. Right’
- Steelers visit with Arizona State receiver Strong, claim long snapper
- Stakes raised for Pitt spring game
- 2 from Carrick charged in connection with rash of heroin overdoses
- Charges mount for rowdy Monongahela drug suspect
- Top 30 guard shooting Heron decommits from Pitt