Franklin Regional reschedules events following tragedy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Schools around the WPIAL typically reschedule numerous sports contests each spring because of rain or other weather-related reasons.
Last week's stabbing incident at Franklin Regional broke completely new ground.
Franklin Regional postponed or canceled nearly two dozen athletic events scheduled for Wednesday through Saturday of last week after the stabbings at the school, which left 20 students and a security guard injured. The cancellations and postponements affected teams at the varsity, junior varsity and junior high/middle school levels.
As of Monday, many of the games had been rescheduled for this week. Several games remained unscheduled, including a girls lacrosse game at Pine-Richland and a boys lacrosse game against North Allegheny.
The district also postponed three athletic events on Monday: the boys tennis match against Connellsville and junior varsity/varsity baseball games against Plum. The tennis match will be played at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, with the baseball makeup dates to be announced.
Doug Gulasy is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him 412-388-5830, via email at email@example.com .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- Rossi: Brawl for ADs between Pitt and WVU
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime
- Time is of essence for Pitt in finding football coach, athletic director
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Pitt offensive coordinator Rudolph still focused on Panthers
- Analysis: Misunderstood Chryst served Pitt well
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- 8 children killed, mother stabbed, in Australia
- Assistant at Duke eyes Pitt football job
- With Pittsburgh charges, feds target Uganda-based counterfeiting ring