Franklin Regional reschedules events following tragedy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Schools around the WPIAL typically reschedule numerous sports contests each spring because of rain or other weather-related reasons.
Last week's stabbing incident at Franklin Regional broke completely new ground.
Franklin Regional postponed or canceled nearly two dozen athletic events scheduled for Wednesday through Saturday of last week after the stabbings at the school, which left 20 students and a security guard injured. The cancellations and postponements affected teams at the varsity, junior varsity and junior high/middle school levels.
As of Monday, many of the games had been rescheduled for this week. Several games remained unscheduled, including a girls lacrosse game at Pine-Richland and a boys lacrosse game against North Allegheny.
The district also postponed three athletic events on Monday: the boys tennis match against Connellsville and junior varsity/varsity baseball games against Plum. The tennis match will be played at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, with the baseball makeup dates to be announced.
Doug Gulasy is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him 412-388-5830, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Bucs DT McCoy signs 7-year, $98M deal
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- WWII pilot takes off in B-29 yet again
- Saturday - October 25, 2014
- Armstrong in test program using slag on icy roads
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- WPIAL football playoff clinchings
- Masontown bakery owner hopes for recipe for success
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Gestapo impostor tricked British fascists, secret files show
- Mussolini’s air raid shelter opens