Alle-Kiski Valley roundup: Kiski Area's Kennedy regains form at WCCA meet
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kiski Area senior Brent Kennedy missed most of cross country season last fall. A stress fracture in his tibia kept him sidelined from late September until early February.
But Kennedy seemed to regain his form at the Westmoreland County Coaches Association Track and Field Championships on Saturday at Latrobe Memorial Stadium.
The Notre Dame recruit won the 1,600 and 3,200 and shared track MVP honors with teammate Ben Kinnamon, who won the 200 and 400.
Kennedy said he's just glad to be running again and competing against his brother, Eric. The Kennedys finished 1-2 in the 3,200, which Brent has won twice previously among his eight WCCA gold medals. He has the meet record in the two-mile.
“Health-wise, I'm back to where I want to be,” Brent Kennedy said. “I'm still working on my mileage. I'm trying to be careful. I'll pick it up next month.”
Kinnamon defended his title in the 200, edging teammate Tre Talton, who won the 100 meters.
Kiski Area's Stephanie Lednak won the 800 and helped the 3,200 relay team win gold. Other runners on the team were Morgan Kiebler, Jayne Hohman and Megan Aller.
Deer Lakes 6, Ambridge 1 (8 inn.) — After six scoreless innings, each team scored one run in the seventh before Deer Lakes (10-4) erupted for five in the top of the eighth to claim a nonsection victory over Ambridge (3-8). Scott Ventura doubled and drove in two runs, and Josh Plocki and Jimmy Feil also had two RBIs each. Todd Coleman singled twice, and Ryan Petrone struck out seven over five innings.
Plum 11, Penn Hills 1 (6 inn.) — Alex Tishko went 4 for 4 with two runs scored, two RBIs and three stolen bases as Plum (11-4) handed Penn Hills (4-8) a nonsection defeat. Plum's Alex Kiriloff went 3 for 4 with a triple, double and three RBIs. Dante Palmieri was 2 for 3 with a double, and Nick Stotler, Mike Maleski and Eric Bellasario each doubled for the Mustangs. Phil Mahr pitched all six innings, striking out 10, to earn the win.
Fox Chapel 3, Kiski Area 0 — Chad Bartlett tossed a three-hit shutout, striking out six and walking none, as the Foxes (6-7) dropped the Cavaliers (5-8) in a nonsection game. Anthony Veltri doubled and drove in two for Fox Chapel, and Zach Burkhart went 2 for 2 with an RBI. Dan Vargo also went 2 for 2, and Conner Duquette and Greg Yaksich doubled.
Ligonier Valley 12, Plum 11 — Plum's Jordan Seneca went 3 for 4 with a pair of two-run home runs and drove in five runs, but Plum, which was missing a few starters because of a school event, dropped the nonsection game. Seneca raised her season RBI total to 35 RBIs, and she has 101 for her career.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Peduto blasts Wolf’s plan to borrow $3B to shore up pensions
- Work release inmate walks away from Armstrong County Jail
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- Multiple delays to slow travel between Alle-Kiski Valley, Greensburg
- Hempfield murderer serving life sentence promises restitution when he’s released
- Steelers’ Bell unsure why NFL reduced his suspension
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- 1 person reportedly stabbed at Fayette housing complex
- Westmoreland torture-slaying convict Smyrnes says death row isolation too cruel