Alle-Kiski Valley roundup: Freeport tops Apollo-Ridge for 4th straight win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Matt Van Tine didn't get the no-hitter he was looking for Tuesday against Apollo-Ridge, but the junior will put aside style points for Freeport baseball's fourth straight win.
Van Tine struck out six, walked two and allowed three hits as Freeport cruised past Apollo-Ridge, 13-2, in five innings for a Section 3-AA win. He took a no-hitter into the fifth.
Josh Beale led a balanced Freeport (8-4, 8-1) offensive attack, going 2 for 2 with three RBIs. Matt Swartz doubled and drove in two runs, Kris Keppel also doubled and Noah Shannon went 2 for 3 with two RBIs. Michael Percic and Zach Weinel each provided an RBI-single for Apollo-Ridge (4-7, 4-5).
Kennedy wins award — Kiski Area senior Brent Kennedy was the male recipient of the Westmoreland County Scholar Athlete “Excellence Award,” sponsored by Judge John J. Driscoll.
Kennedy was a two-time WPIAL Class AAA cross country winner and won eight medals in the county cross country and track meets, and after missing the 2013 cross country season with a tibia injury, has returned to compete for the track season. He'll run track at Notre Dame.
“We're the best from Westmoreland County,” Kennedy said. “It's our job to continue it. Winning this award ranks a little higher than winning the eight gold medals at the county meets.”
The girls' winner was Greensburg Central Catholic senior Frannie Crouse, a star soccer player.
Valley duo falls — Valley's team of Cody Schrecongost and Josh Denham came up short in their bid to qualify for the PIAA doubles tournament, losing to Dan McCormick and Andrew Parda of Sewickley Academy, 6-1, 2-6, 6-1, in the WPIAL Class AA consolation match at Lakevue Racquet Club in Valencia.
Deer Lakes 3, West Shamokin 2 — Deer Lakes (5-4, 5-2) fell behind 2-1 but rallied to claim a Section 2-AA win over West Shamokin (4-6, 3-3), which sits one spot behind the Lancers in the standings. Mark Kopinski clinched the match for Deer Lakes with a block. Jake Roberts had 27 kills to lead the Lancers. Deer Lakes coach Rick Tatrn did not attend the match for undisclosed reasons.
Track and field
Site change for playoffs — The Apollo-Ridge boys and Riverview girls track and field teams will open the WPIAL Class AA team playoffs Wednesday at Shenango. The meets originally was scheduled for Beaver.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Ferrante cyanide trial resumes with ER doctor testifying
- Red Wings rally, shock Penguins in overtime
- Nationwide drug ring was centered in Homewood, prosecutor says
- Primanti Bros. to mail sandwiches nationwide
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- LaBar: A memo to WWE critics
- Park service reports ‘significant losses’ of Flight 93 memorial collection in Oct. 3 fire
- Federal grand jury reviewing Liquor Control Board violations, sources tell Trib