Sewickley Academy's McClain has bright lacrosse future
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Part of a large recruiting class, Sewickley Academy senior Maggie McClain probably will not play much for the Gettysburg College women's lacrosse team next year.
But coach Carol Cantele likes her potential.
“The competition will be tough, but she has the skills and abilities to compete at the highest level,” said Cantele, noting McClain will be one of 16 new players.
McClain, a midfielder who scored more than 135 goals the last three years and more than 50 this season, chose Gettysburg over Allegheny. She considered Princeton as a walk-on.
“I like the school size — and the food is divine,” said McClain, 18.
Team stability also was a factor.
“(Cantele) played at Gettysburg and has coached there a long time,” said McClain, who has taken lacrosse lessons from a private instructor.
McClain will join a Gettysburg team that has earned a berth in the NCAA Division III playoffs 14 of the last 15 seasons, including the last 13. The Bullets were national champions in 2011 and runners-up in 2006. They have been semifinalists four other times.
Gettysburg (16-2 overall, 8-1 in the Centennial Conference) will play host to this year's championship on May 24-25.
McClain, who would like to become an orthopedic surgeon, plans to study pre-medicine and art history.
“She will make an excellent impact on our vibrant college campus,” Cantele said.
Karen Kadilak is a freelance writer.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers linebackers are getting to quarterback with more regularity
- Pirates win bidding for Korean infielder
- No. 18 West Virginia pounds Wofford, 77-44
- Dixon says starters playing too much for Pitt basketball team
- Kids know best: It’s Santa magic
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t ask for taunting clarification from league
- Pitt recruit Whitehead remains committed
- Penguins rally late but lose to Panthers, 4-3, in shootout
- Robert Morris repels winless Delaware, 84-81
- Wear with confidence: Pump up your workout with stylish exercise gear
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings