Butler County spotlight athletes: May 18, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Seneca Valley
Claim to fame: Kendrick scored her 100th career goal and helped Seneca Valley reach the postseason.
How happy are you to have scored 100 goals already?
It was really cool. I had no idea I was even close. Everyone kept that as a surprise from me. My whole team and coaches knew. It was a big feat. I know it doesn't happen often.
What is your favorite thing about lacrosse?
My teammates because we're such a family and they are all my best friends. I love going to practice with them every day.
What do you hope to work on for next year?
I am a center for my team. I would like to get my draw percentage and shot percentage higher. Possession during the game is one of my important traits.
Seneca Valley graduates a handful of seniors, so how nice is it to have the majority of the team back for next season?
That'll be great to have so many people back. We hope to build upon our skills and pick up the slack of the five seniors that are leaving.
Sport: Track and field
Claim to fame: Zangaro helped Mars advance to the WPIAL Class AAA boys team championship.
What were the team track and field championships like?
It's a lot less intense than the individual championships. It's pretty laid back. Our team is more about having fun there. It's very cool. We did not expect our team to do this well this year.
You ran the anchor leg of the 1600 relay to help your team advance to the championship meet. How was that?
It was pretty crazy. I have never anchored before. I was always the leadoff guy. Our best runner had four events already, so I wanted to do what I had to do to help the team.
You compete in a wide variety of events (high jump, long jump, 1600 relay and 300 hurdles). What's your favorite event?
I think I like jumping more. High jump is where I do my best. I enjoy all the other events, but I have focused on the high jump and really have a love for it.
Do you hope to participate in track and field in college?
I am going to Penn State main campus. I am debating whether to walk onto the team or not. I am undecided. I'd like to possibly major in something around engineering. I am open to anything.
— Joe Sager
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Looking at the next great Steeler
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- McCullers’, McLendon’s prowess in clogging trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Roman Catholic Church in midst of culture clash over gays
- Penguins not alone in top-heavy approach to salary cap
- Shell shovels millions into proposed Beaver County plant site
- High school notebook: Baseball standouts showcase their skills for pro scouts
- Steelers notebook: Injuries finally become issue at training camp
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation