Alle-Kiski Valley high school notebook: Highlands hires new AD
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Highlands hired Chuck Debor as its new athletic director Monday night.
Debor, 52, who served the same position from 1992-95, is a former head football coach at Highlands. He replaces Matt Bonislawski, who was not retained when the position was made part-time and restructured to where the AD must have a teaching certificate. Bonislawski, a former standout quarterback at Connecticut, does not have a teaching certificate.
Debor is a gym teacher at Highlands.
Bonislawski had been the AD since 2007.
Burrell's Kelly denied
The WPIAL Board of Control denied eligibility to Burrell wrestler Zach Kelly, who is entering his fifth year of high school, WPIAL executive director Tim O'Malley said. The senior previously attended The Kiski School in Saltsburg.
Kelly is a Bucknell recruit.
Nice shot, Dad
Deer Lakes golf coach Sam Sack knocked in his first career hole-in-one during a casual round with his three sons, and the highlight had special meaning because it happened on Father's Day. Sack, 57, aced the 150-yard eighth hole at River Forest Country Club, where he has been a member since 1978.
“The nice thing was that it hit past the hole and spun back,” said Sack, who hit an 8-iron. “My son (Samuel) called it. He said it was going in after I hit it. We always tease each other. I tell them, you guys better not get (a hole-in-one) before I do.”
Sack's sons are Matthew, 31; Samuel, 17; and Adam, 15.
After buzz that the district might go another direction with its boys basketball position, Springdale rehired Seth Thompson as coach. Thompson has been in charge since 2011. ... Kittanning softball player Emily Kutch, a second baseman/pitcher who started four years, committed to St. Vincent.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Penguins notebook: Farnham relishes making opening-night roster
- Pitt notebook: Panthers keeping many players involved
- Rowers thrive on rainless day at Head of the Ohio
- Man’s body recovered from river in McKeesport
- Penn State notebook: Franklin cautious regarding injuries
- Penn Hills man allegedly robs Wilkins eatery
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Utah’s Chaffetz in race for House speaker
- MLB notebook: Miami’s Gordon sweeps NL batting, steals titles
- Hot issues put Supreme Court at helm of 2016 race