Butler County spotlight athletes: Aug. 31, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Campbell averaged approximately a 38 to lead Knoch to a 3-1 record through its first four matches of the year.
Your team is off to a good start. What's been the key?
We all got these memberships at Butler Country Club this summer. We played every day. It's really taken some of us to the next level.
You're a sophomore, but there are six juniors on the team, so it's still a young squad. How nice is it knowing you'll be together for two seasons?
That's a big part. We're in a tough section this year. If we don't do great this year, we know we'll be a lot better going into next year. We play together every day. Our team is definitely playoff caliber. We have to take our game on the road, though. We have to travel better.
What part of your game did you work on this summer?
I focused a lot on my irons. I think that's (my) most important shot. I feel like I can take that to the next level this year. Every day at the range, I was hitting iron after iron.
Do you have a favorite golfer?
Phil Mickelson. I am a lefty. I definitely try to pattern myself after his short game.
School: Seneca Valley
Claim to fame: Wahlstrom has been Seneca Valley's low scorer through the team's first four matches.
Is it hard to believe you're back in school?
Yes, it's very weird. I am in the marching band, too. I play the sousaphone. So, my extracurricular activities are very time consuming.
How much did you golf this summer?
I golfed in a bunch of Kings Restaurants junior golf tournaments all summer all over Western Pa. I went to the junior championship match in Nemacolin. That was a really good experience. For me, just playing a lot and playing with a lot of competitive golfers helped me grow individually.
Did you try to work on one area of your game?
My short game, both chipping and putting. I have a nice putting green in my backyard that was my dad's idea. I go out and chip and putt a lot, so I have muscle memory for those types of things.
Who is your favorite golfer?
I try to watch professional golf a lot, but there's no one I follow in particular. I enjoyed watching Rory McIlroy this summer.
— Joe Sager
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Roundup: Mazda recalls cars to fix tire pressure monitors; Wal-Mart’s top merchant out as key holiday nears; more
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- Connellsville wrestlers hope to meet program’s standard of excellence
- Lower gasoline prices fail to spur consumer spending
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
- FDA rule to require chain restaurants to post calorie counts
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Young Steel Valley players looking for experience