Butler County spotlight athletes: Aug. 31, 2014
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Campbell averaged approximately a 38 to lead Knoch to a 3-1 record through its first four matches of the year.
Your team is off to a good start. What's been the key?
We all got these memberships at Butler Country Club this summer. We played every day. It's really taken some of us to the next level.
You're a sophomore, but there are six juniors on the team, so it's still a young squad. How nice is it knowing you'll be together for two seasons?
That's a big part. We're in a tough section this year. If we don't do great this year, we know we'll be a lot better going into next year. We play together every day. Our team is definitely playoff caliber. We have to take our game on the road, though. We have to travel better.
What part of your game did you work on this summer?
I focused a lot on my irons. I think that's (my) most important shot. I feel like I can take that to the next level this year. Every day at the range, I was hitting iron after iron.
Do you have a favorite golfer?
Phil Mickelson. I am a lefty. I definitely try to pattern myself after his short game.
School: Seneca Valley
Claim to fame: Wahlstrom has been Seneca Valley's low scorer through the team's first four matches.
Is it hard to believe you're back in school?
Yes, it's very weird. I am in the marching band, too. I play the sousaphone. So, my extracurricular activities are very time consuming.
How much did you golf this summer?
I golfed in a bunch of Kings Restaurants junior golf tournaments all summer all over Western Pa. I went to the junior championship match in Nemacolin. That was a really good experience. For me, just playing a lot and playing with a lot of competitive golfers helped me grow individually.
Did you try to work on one area of your game?
My short game, both chipping and putting. I have a nice putting green in my backyard that was my dad's idea. I go out and chip and putt a lot, so I have muscle memory for those types of things.
Who is your favorite golfer?
I try to watch professional golf a lot, but there's no one I follow in particular. I enjoyed watching Rory McIlroy this summer.
— Joe Sager
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Just wait until Ben comes back
- Bell’s last-second TD lifts Steelers over Chargers
- Steelers defense displays resiliency in victory over Chargers
- Steelers notebook: Receiver Bryant inactive for game vs. Chargers
- 1 killed, 2 injured in Fayette County crash
- Penguins’ Morehouse says city has amenities needed for world-class hockey events
- Home invader shot, killed in Mt. Washington
- Penguins notebook: Left wing rotation puts Perron with Malkin
- Looking toward home opener, Penguins work to end scoring drought
- Pa. Supreme Court ‘disturbed by content’ of emails attributed to justice
- Ellwood City Area School District avoids strike set for Tuesday