Burrell rugby team prepares for states
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Burrell rugby team will once again hit the road for the state playoffs.
The No. 2 seed Buckheads (11-1) meet No. 7 seed Melvern Prep in a quarterfinal at 2 p.m. Sunday at Cumberland Valley High School in Mechanicsburg.
The winner plays Cumberland Valley or St. Joseph's Prep, which defeated Burrell in last year's state final.
The final four is next weekend at Founders Field in Indianola, Indiana Township.
“We are feared, but we are not respected from the teams out east,” Buckheads coach Ron Zanella said. “It's time to earn that respect.”
There are four nationally ranked teams in the tournament: Burrell (No. 13), Cumberland (16), St. Gregory (25) and St. Joseph's Prep (26).
Rick Bruni Jr. is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Longing for when `Browns Week’ mattered
- Four issues that the Steelers need to take care of in September
- Penn State football team’s future won’t include ‘Distraction’ trips
- Kittanning boys soccer team pleases new coach in season-opening loss
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Steelers bracing to face 2 quarterbacks vs. Browns
- Pitt well-stocked along offensive line
- Worker driving vehicle hurt at Pittsburgh International Airport
- Maryland doctor will give up license
- High school roundup: South Fayette opens section play with victory
- District college notebook: Reid keys CMU women soccer’s upset of No. 1 William Smith