Burrell rugby team prepares for states
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Burrell rugby team will once again hit the road for the state playoffs.
The No. 2 seed Buckheads (11-1) meet No. 7 seed Melvern Prep in a quarterfinal at 2 p.m. Sunday at Cumberland Valley High School in Mechanicsburg.
The winner plays Cumberland Valley or St. Joseph's Prep, which defeated Burrell in last year's state final.
The final four is next weekend at Founders Field in Indianola, Indiana Township.
“We are feared, but we are not respected from the teams out east,” Buckheads coach Ron Zanella said. “It's time to earn that respect.”
There are four nationally ranked teams in the tournament: Burrell (No. 13), Cumberland (16), St. Gregory (25) and St. Joseph's Prep (26).
Rick Bruni Jr. is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Snow, freezing rain, bitter cold coming to Western Pa.
- Southbound McKnight Road closed for power line repairs
- Fallingwater among Wright buildings nominated for World Heritage List
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Familiar Downtown Pittsburgh presence lost arm, leg to train
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Iraqi libraries ransacked
- Gulls fleeing frozen Great Lakes fill skies over Pittsburgh’s Point
- Voters opt for ‘Don’t Know’ in 2016 presidential race, poll finds
- As banking goes mobile, branch closures rip through local economy