Burrell rugby team prepares for states
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Burrell rugby team will once again hit the road for the state playoffs.
The No. 2 seed Buckheads (11-1) meet No. 7 seed Melvern Prep in a quarterfinal at 2 p.m. Sunday at Cumberland Valley High School in Mechanicsburg.
The winner plays Cumberland Valley or St. Joseph's Prep, which defeated Burrell in last year's state final.
The final four is next weekend at Founders Field in Indianola, Indiana Township.
“We are feared, but we are not respected from the teams out east,” Buckheads coach Ron Zanella said. “It's time to earn that respect.”
There are four nationally ranked teams in the tournament: Burrell (No. 13), Cumberland (16), St. Gregory (25) and St. Joseph's Prep (26).
Rick Bruni Jr. is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Maatta tests positive for mumps; Bortuzzo, Greiss negative
- Analysis: Misunderstood Chryst served Pitt well
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Toys for Tots fails to deliver; local charities scramble
- Rossi: Brawl for ADs between Pitt and WVU
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Truck driver dies in Butler County crash
- Time is of essence for Pitt in finding football coach, athletic director
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime