Burrell rugby team prepares for states
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Burrell rugby team will once again hit the road for the state playoffs.
The No. 2 seed Buckheads (11-1) meet No. 7 seed Melvern Prep in a quarterfinal at 2 p.m. Sunday at Cumberland Valley High School in Mechanicsburg.
The winner plays Cumberland Valley or St. Joseph's Prep, which defeated Burrell in last year's state final.
The final four is next weekend at Founders Field in Indianola, Indiana Township.
“We are feared, but we are not respected from the teams out east,” Buckheads coach Ron Zanella said. “It's time to earn that respect.”
There are four nationally ranked teams in the tournament: Burrell (No. 13), Cumberland (16), St. Gregory (25) and St. Joseph's Prep (26).
Rick Bruni Jr. is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- 3-alarm fire burns Hill District row homes
- Record-breaking temps could make February the coldest one since 1979
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Vincentian girls dominate rival North Catholic for 4th straight WPIAL Class A title
- Butler County teen dies in ATV accident
- At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi
- 3 charged with selling heroin that killed Lower Burrell woman
- New Monroeville Mall policy aims to tame teen shoppers