Burrell rugby team prepares for states
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Burrell rugby team will once again hit the road for the state playoffs.
The No. 2 seed Buckheads (11-1) meet No. 7 seed Melvern Prep in a quarterfinal at 2 p.m. Sunday at Cumberland Valley High School in Mechanicsburg.
The winner plays Cumberland Valley or St. Joseph's Prep, which defeated Burrell in last year's state final.
The final four is next weekend at Founders Field in Indianola, Indiana Township.
“We are feared, but we are not respected from the teams out east,” Buckheads coach Ron Zanella said. “It's time to earn that respect.”
There are four nationally ranked teams in the tournament: Burrell (No. 13), Cumberland (16), St. Gregory (25) and St. Joseph's Prep (26).
Rick Bruni Jr. is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Record-holding female motorcyclist to speak at Lincoln Highway event
- RB Williams believes he’s making seamless transition to Steelers
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- White lion Prince dies at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Pitt basketball team starting to get injured players back
- Brashear cornerback Coleman picks Pitt
- LaBar: Sting making history fighting for WWE title
- Vintage drive-in theaters’ prices, upgrades still draw in Western Pa.
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in preseason loss at Bills
- Survey finds no clear fix to achieving racial diversity in Westmoreland County