Burrell rugby team prepares for states
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Burrell rugby team will once again hit the road for the state playoffs.
The No. 2 seed Buckheads (11-1) meet No. 7 seed Melvern Prep in a quarterfinal at 2 p.m. Sunday at Cumberland Valley High School in Mechanicsburg.
The winner plays Cumberland Valley or St. Joseph's Prep, which defeated Burrell in last year's state final.
The final four is next weekend at Founders Field in Indianola, Indiana Township.
“We are feared, but we are not respected from the teams out east,” Buckheads coach Ron Zanella said. “It's time to earn that respect.”
There are four nationally ranked teams in the tournament: Burrell (No. 13), Cumberland (16), St. Gregory (25) and St. Joseph's Prep (26).
Rick Bruni Jr. is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough
- Pitt football notebook: Panthers’ depth at RB, offensive line shows against Syracuse
- Allegheny County adoption event joins 40 children with families
- Man sets house fire, kills deputy
- The bullet inside your body ‘becomes a part of you’
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Woman on dating site looks too good to be true: How to vet that pic
- Need for new community college in Northwestern Pennsylvania questioned