Burrell rugby team prepares for states
By Rick Bruni Jr.
Published: Friday, May 11, 2012, 12:45 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2013
The Burrell rugby team will once again hit the road for the state playoffs.
The No. 2 seed Buckheads (11-1) meet No. 7 seed Melvern Prep in a quarterfinal at 2 p.m. Sunday at Cumberland Valley High School in Mechanicsburg.
The winner plays Cumberland Valley or St. Joseph's Prep, which defeated Burrell in last year's state final.
The final four is next weekend at Founders Field in Indianola, Indiana Township.
“We are feared, but we are not respected from the teams out east,” Buckheads coach Ron Zanella said. “It's time to earn that respect.”
There are four nationally ranked teams in the tournament: Burrell (No. 13), Cumberland (16), St. Gregory (25) and St. Joseph's Prep (26).
Rick Bruni Jr. is a freelance writer.
- Penguins’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- Grilli blows 1st save; Pirates lose to Reds in 13 innings
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Study: Traffic jams siphon $1B a year from region’s drivers
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says offense needs to get rolling
- Three killed when minivan crashes into tree in Butler County
- Pitt adds two more recruits
- Anglers, others don’t want Kingston dam to go
- Starkey: No apologies for this NBA column
- Judge deals setback to Steelers’ quest to expand Heinz Field
- FBI targets ‘hacktivist’ in rape case