High School Notebook: Familiar faces join Valley football staff
By Bill Beckner Jr.
Published: Saturday, July 7, 2012, 1:11 a.m.
New Valley head football coach Chad Walsh has added a pair of former local head coaches to his coaching staff.
Former Apollo-Ridge coach Jerry Moore and former Kiski Area coach Troy Wilson were hired last week.
Moore spent nine seasons at Apollo-Ridge before resigning in 2008. Wilson's position was opened in December after three seasons.
Knowing they were out of football, Walsh recruited both.
“I have always been taught to surround yourself with good people,” Walsh said. “With Jerry and Troy, you know what to expect. They have a lot of experience. They're both sound and technical in their positions. They have been there.”
Long-time defensive guru Bill McGregor also has returned to the sidelines to assist Walsh.
Fox Chapel baseball player Mike Letterle has made a verbal commitment to play at Mount Union. Letterle, a 6-foot-1 pitcher, was 2-4 with a 2.90 ERA and 34 strikeouts in 41 innings this past season for the Foxes (5-15).
• Springdale's Krista Edwards, the 2011 Valley News Dispatch Girls Soccer Player of the Year, plans to continue her career at Westminster. As a senior, Edwards helped lead Springdale (16-8-2) to runner-up finishes in the WPIAL and PIAA Class A playoffs. The midfielder/forward had 14 goals and five assists and earned All-WPIAL honors.
• Kiski Area grad Derrik Whiten will continue his soccer career at Point Park. A goalkeeper, Whiten posted eight shutouts to earn team MVP honors last season for the Cavaliers (14-4).
Bill Beckner Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-224-2696 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Central Catholic delivers crushing defensive performance to qualify for PIAA championship
- Travis, Jack lead Penn State past Marshall
- Cunning crocs use twigs to draw birds for a snack
- Blood cancers get new enemy
- Robert Morris drops 5th straight game
- Steelers notebook: TE Spaeth activated for stretch run
- Running game carries South Fayette past Hickory and into PIAA title game
- NFL notebook: Ravens activated TE Pitta, set to make season debut
- Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic dominates Clarion in PIAA semifinals
- South Greensburg bugler still playing ‘Taps,’ but few others continue tradition
- Police say fellow cop arrested for drunk driving after coming to work intoxicated