High School Notebook: Familiar faces join Valley football staff
TribLIVE Sports Videos
New Valley head football coach Chad Walsh has added a pair of former local head coaches to his coaching staff.
Former Apollo-Ridge coach Jerry Moore and former Kiski Area coach Troy Wilson were hired last week.
Moore spent nine seasons at Apollo-Ridge before resigning in 2008. Wilson's position was opened in December after three seasons.
Knowing they were out of football, Walsh recruited both.
“I have always been taught to surround yourself with good people,” Walsh said. “With Jerry and Troy, you know what to expect. They have a lot of experience. They're both sound and technical in their positions. They have been there.”
Long-time defensive guru Bill McGregor also has returned to the sidelines to assist Walsh.
Fox Chapel baseball player Mike Letterle has made a verbal commitment to play at Mount Union. Letterle, a 6-foot-1 pitcher, was 2-4 with a 2.90 ERA and 34 strikeouts in 41 innings this past season for the Foxes (5-15).
• Springdale's Krista Edwards, the 2011 Valley News Dispatch Girls Soccer Player of the Year, plans to continue her career at Westminster. As a senior, Edwards helped lead Springdale (16-8-2) to runner-up finishes in the WPIAL and PIAA Class A playoffs. The midfielder/forward had 14 goals and five assists and earned All-WPIAL honors.
• Kiski Area grad Derrik Whiten will continue his soccer career at Point Park. A goalkeeper, Whiten posted eight shutouts to earn team MVP honors last season for the Cavaliers (14-4).
Bill Beckner Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-224-2696 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Hit sends Penguins’ Letang to hospital
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Downie’s goal, fight spark Penguins to win over Coyotes
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Probiotic bacteria help conquer ‘superbugs’
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of a union retiree’s pension
- Starkey: Next frontier for Steelers offense
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Man rescued from sinkhole in McKeesport