High School Notebook: Familiar faces join Valley football staff
TribLIVE Sports Videos
New Valley head football coach Chad Walsh has added a pair of former local head coaches to his coaching staff.
Former Apollo-Ridge coach Jerry Moore and former Kiski Area coach Troy Wilson were hired last week.
Moore spent nine seasons at Apollo-Ridge before resigning in 2008. Wilson's position was opened in December after three seasons.
Knowing they were out of football, Walsh recruited both.
“I have always been taught to surround yourself with good people,” Walsh said. “With Jerry and Troy, you know what to expect. They have a lot of experience. They're both sound and technical in their positions. They have been there.”
Long-time defensive guru Bill McGregor also has returned to the sidelines to assist Walsh.
Fox Chapel baseball player Mike Letterle has made a verbal commitment to play at Mount Union. Letterle, a 6-foot-1 pitcher, was 2-4 with a 2.90 ERA and 34 strikeouts in 41 innings this past season for the Foxes (5-15).
• Springdale's Krista Edwards, the 2011 Valley News Dispatch Girls Soccer Player of the Year, plans to continue her career at Westminster. As a senior, Edwards helped lead Springdale (16-8-2) to runner-up finishes in the WPIAL and PIAA Class A playoffs. The midfielder/forward had 14 goals and five assists and earned All-WPIAL honors.
• Kiski Area grad Derrik Whiten will continue his soccer career at Point Park. A goalkeeper, Whiten posted eight shutouts to earn team MVP honors last season for the Cavaliers (14-4).
Bill Beckner Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-224-2696 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ attempts to bolster roster at deadline a fruitless endeavor
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Spaling, Penguins agree to $4.4 million deal
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Greensburg man sentenced for heroin sales
- EPA talks on pollution limits trigger protests, arrests Downtown
- Zappala disputes public safety director’s statement on police ID policy
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- NFL notebook: Ravens RB Rice calls actions ‘totally inexcusable’
- It’s lights out for Bayer sign on Mt. Washington
- Shooting investigation leads to large marijuana grow in Monessen