Gateway's Smith to coach football this season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After public outcry from students, parents and alumni during the past few weeks, Gateway School Board members announced Wednesday that athletic director Terry Smith will remain head football coach for the upcoming school year.
The years after that remain in question. Board members amended a motion that would have kept Smith from coaching and holding an administrative position at the same time, delaying the plan for the rest of the calendar year. Starting Jan. 1, 2013, a policy will be instated prohibiting administrators from coaching.
About 80 people spoke on Smith's behalf, including players.
“It's been overwhelming,” Smith said. “Just to see all of my players walking down, there's never been a school board meeting like this.”
Football player Darin Franklin said a season without Smith would have been devastating.
“It would have ruined our season,” he said. “We might not want to play anymore.”
Board members voted in June to reduce Smith's athletic director position to half-time, saying academic programming comes before athletics. They voted 8-1 Wednesday to uphold that decision.
Knoch hires AD
Knoch filled two vacancies Wednesday, both left by the departure of AD Josh Shoop. The South Butler School Board hired football coach Mike King as its new AD. Ron McNabb was tabbed the new boys basketball coach. Shoop, 39, is leaving to become AD at Pine-Richland.
Staff writer Bill Beckner Jr. contributed. Kyle Lawson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Linebackers on the spot against Saints offense
- Penguins notebook: Johnston calls Quinn ‘phenomenal’ coach, person
- MLB notebook: Red Sox spending way out of the cellar
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Liberty Bridge inspections to close lanes
- Goal of political process is not to create a government that works
- Pitt football notebook: Athletic department seeking fans’ input
- Blatant misuse of union dues
- Greensburg Tuesday takes
- Pittsburgh Tuesday takes
- Can’t go it alone