Gateway’s Smith to coach football this season
By Kyle Lawson
Published: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 7:46 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, August 21, 2012
After public outcry from students, parents and alumni during the past few weeks, Gateway School Board members announced Wednesday that athletic director Terry Smith will remain head football coach for the upcoming school year.
The years after that remain in question. Board members amended a motion that would have kept Smith from coaching and holding an administrative position at the same time, delaying the plan for the rest of the calendar year. Starting Jan. 1, 2013, a policy will be instated prohibiting administrators from coaching.
About 80 people spoke on Smith's behalf, including players.
“It's been overwhelming,” Smith said. “Just to see all of my players walking down, there's never been a school board meeting like this.”
Football player Darin Franklin said a season without Smith would have been devastating.
“It would have ruined our season,” he said. “We might not want to play anymore.”
Board members voted in June to reduce Smith's athletic director position to half-time, saying academic programming comes before athletics. They voted 8-1 Wednesday to uphold that decision.
Knoch hires AD
Knoch filled two vacancies Wednesday, both left by the departure of AD Josh Shoop. The South Butler School Board hired football coach Mike King as its new AD. Ron McNabb was tabbed the new boys basketball coach. Shoop, 39, is leaving to become AD at Pine-Richland.
Staff writer Bill Beckner Jr. contributed. Kyle Lawson is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Southmoreland, Connellsville athletes fall short of PIAA medal stand
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Dejan Kovacevic chat transcript: May 24, 2013
- ‘Joke’ prompts British jets to divert airliner carrying 300 from Pakistan
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- News Alert
- Steelers OTA photo gallery
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.