Hopewell tailback ready to replace state's all-time rusher
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hopewell tailback Adam Murray must replace the greatest high school rusher in state history.
And he's fine with that.
“I like all that pressure,” Murray said. “We'll see what happens.”
The Vikings are prepared for their first season following the Rushel Shell era, a four-year period highlighted by broken WPIAL, state and national records. Now a freshman at Pitt, Shell topped a talented graduating class that included quarterback Nolan Harmotto and fullback Zach Romah.
“It was a strange feeling,” Murray said of the first summer workouts without them. “I basically played with them my whole life, but now everyone has to step up.”
Murray, a senior, has done his part to make the transition move smoothly.
“He's a really hard worker and a very good leader,” Hopewell coach Dave Vestal said. “I've seen a difference in him since the beginning of the summer. He's focused. I think he's on a mission, saying: ‘I know Rushel has been here the last four years, but now it's my turn.'
“There's a sense that he's taking over the ship, and making sure we're headed in the right direction.”
Senior Stefan Mrkonja will replace Harmotto at quarterback. Only four defensive starters remain from last season's playoff team, and three on offense. A few others saw considerable minutes. They include inside linebacker/fullback Mike Tempalski (5-11, 210), receiver/defensive back Arion Sepp (6-2, 180) and two linemen, Acantay Patton (6-3, 215) and Nick McCracken (6-2, 210). Murray (6-0, 200) also plays outside linebacker.
“It's going to be a challenge,” Vestal said. “We need to keep growing each week.”
The key could be its defense. The Vikings would like to slow games, limit scoring and use a ball-control offense that features Murray.
“Playing better defense would allow us to control the tempo of the game,” Vestal said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Area first responders interact at active-shooter workshop
- Glassport police name new chief
- McKeesport home invasion suspect waives extradition
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Elizabeth Township police chief put on leave, manager terminated
- East Allegheny teachers respond in contract dispute