Beaver's matured offense could make quick impact
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It took one season for Jeff Beltz's defensive system to sink in, and when it did, it clicked.
“We've taken an approach that we want our athletes to play fast,” Beltz said. “The less thinking they do, the better off they are.”
Last season, the Bobcats leaned on a blitz defense and only allowed 54 points in the regular season.
But defense wasn't the only focus last year. Beltz hopes that a new offense, which he began implementing last year, will be ready to make an impact.
“We modernized the systems in that we've designed a system that our kids really enjoy,” he said. “The offense was a year behind the defense.”
The Bobcats, who ended last season with a WPIAL Class AA first-round loss to Shady Side Academy, had a bit of a setback this offseason.
Senior quarterback Austin Ross, who was the likely replacement for graduate Christian Herstine, broke his ankle the first week of June and isn't expected to return until mid-September. Last year, Ross scored twice on 114 yards rushing, and completed 8 of 24 passing attempts for 142 yards. Alex Rowse will fill in. In addition, Beaver returns seven defensive starters and five on the front line.
“We preach effort and wanting to compete at this point and just trying to create competitive situations for our guys,” Beltz said. “If we do that, usually the other aspects fall in line.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Grand jury presentment: AG Kane lied, attempted to cover up leak
- Steelers receiver Brown attends workouts despite contract issues
- Plum students protest orders to keep mum about sex cases
- Man found dead in Lower Burrell
- Whitehall man sentenced to time served for domestic assault of top prosecutor
- Injured Penguins optimistic about returning next season
- Crosby, Malkin want to remain in Pittsburgh
- Fayette man dies after accidental fire in home
- Oil’s rebound pushes up price at gas pumps
- Elites, media & character
- Coach Johnston trying to figure out why Penguins ‘fell off a cliff’