Two-way lineman sets tone for Beaver Falls
By Meredith Qualls
Published: Thursday, August 23, 2012, 6:24 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, August 23, 2012
Beaver Falls coach Ryan Matsook knows that getting ahead in the Midwestern Conference isn't easy.
“There's a lot of ingredients that go into getting into the playoffs — luck, staying healthy, having talent,” he said.
After losing three of five starters on the offensive line, the Tigers will rely on Brock Boxen, a 6-foot-2, two-way lineman, to help keep the Tigers moving ahead. The junior has already received offers from Pitt and other Division I schools.
“It's a nice luxury to have on that side of the ball,” Matsook said of Boxen.
Matsook believes that Boxen, along with senior tight end Jordan Miller, will give Beaver Falls an edge up front this season.
“I think he's up for it,” Matsook said. “(Boxen) was a kid who really got into the weight room this offseason, which he hadn't done in the past.”
On defense, Beaver Falls will be aided by Nick Pettigrew, who was named an all-conference defensive lineman last year.
Despite having an edge in the trenches, Matsook knows that the conference slate will challenge Beaver Falls.
“We respect all of those teams, and we prepare for them like it,” he said.
“When you take that mindset, you tend to have more success than you have failures.”
- Steelers reach agreement with sixth-round pick Williams
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Shooting blanks
- Sen. Costa blasts Republicans on transportation, liquor privatization bills
- State says two judicial candidates erroneously listed as missing deadline
- Pittsburgh police arrest bicyclist after chase through the South Side
- Government defends recording Armstrong County man’s jail conversation
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Task force to investigate possible link in slayings five years apart
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.