Returning tailback to anchor New Brighton’s young lineup
By Meredith Qualls
Published: Thursday, August 23, 2012, 6:29 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, August 23, 2012
Coach Joe Greco believes the Lions are on the way up.
“We've had an excellent offseason,” the New Brighton coach said. “We have a solid core of kids grades 10 through 12. They've put the time in.”
With one more win in 2011 than the year before, Greco believes that this year, the team will be even more competitive.
One obvious strength in the lineup is senior Kellen Mackey, who rushed for 799 yards last season.
“Kellen's going to be one obvious impact player. He's looking for a healthy and successful senior season,” Greco said. “He's a strong, fast kid.”
But Greco isn't looking for Mackey to carry the team.
“We're going to have to be more than just him,” Greco said.
New Brighton is still a young team. Senior Tony Tomasi and juniors Craig Thompson and Braden Thomas will play wide receiver, while juniors Lamar Taft and Tyler St. Esprit will play fullback. Joe Greco's son, Gabe, a junior, will play quarterback in the team's spread offense.
The Lions have not been to the postseason since 2003, and this year Greco wants his team to be in the mix.
“The (Midwestern Conference) is always competitive. That's just the way it is,” Greco said. “We hope to be one of the teams fighting for a playoff spot.”
- Penguins turn Game 4 into blowout victory over Senators
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
- Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Neal gets back on track to lead Penguins
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Teaching positions, electives lost in Plum School District’s 2013-14 budget
- North Allegheny advances to 1st title game since 2006
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.