Returning tailback to anchor New Brighton's young lineup
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Coach Joe Greco believes the Lions are on the way up.
“We've had an excellent offseason,” the New Brighton coach said. “We have a solid core of kids grades 10 through 12. They've put the time in.”
With one more win in 2011 than the year before, Greco believes that this year, the team will be even more competitive.
One obvious strength in the lineup is senior Kellen Mackey, who rushed for 799 yards last season.
“Kellen's going to be one obvious impact player. He's looking for a healthy and successful senior season,” Greco said. “He's a strong, fast kid.”
But Greco isn't looking for Mackey to carry the team.
“We're going to have to be more than just him,” Greco said.
New Brighton is still a young team. Senior Tony Tomasi and juniors Craig Thompson and Braden Thomas will play wide receiver, while juniors Lamar Taft and Tyler St. Esprit will play fullback. Joe Greco's son, Gabe, a junior, will play quarterback in the team's spread offense.
The Lions have not been to the postseason since 2003, and this year Greco wants his team to be in the mix.
“The (Midwestern Conference) is always competitive. That's just the way it is,” Greco said. “We hope to be one of the teams fighting for a playoff spot.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- McCord to TV reporter: ‘I look forward to talking about’ resignation
- 2 firefighters injured battling Munhall blaze
- Officials identify man, woman killed in apparent Oakland murder-suicide
- Charge dropped against former Steeler Blount after community service
- Fayette coroner’s office at scene of truck-car crash on Route 51
- Charges expunged against Butler County man in ’61 lunch-counter protest
- Endowment of $3.49B makes University of Pittsburgh 25th richest in U.S.
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- West Point Elementary checked for gas odor, students sent home or to Wendover