Senior leaders to carry Riverside in 2nd-year coach's system
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It's been five years since Riverside made a playoff appearance.
With a band of returning starters, coach Tom Liberty thinks this team might have a shot.
Riverside will work to replace senior tailback Tom Mansfield, who had 10 touchdowns and 657 rushing yards last season, but Liberty believes the team has already been able to adjust.
“The biggest thing I've noticed so far is installing all the offense and defense. Not having to install that has been great,” said Liberty, entering his second year with the Panthers.
Devin Kelosky, a senior, returns with two years experience under his belt.
Last year, he completed 47 of 104 passes and tossed six touchdowns.
“(Kelosky) should be a premier starting quarterback,” said Liberty, adding that seniors Bobby Gould and Brent Mulneix will be capable reserves at QB.
Fred Pflugh, Jordan Matiko and Don Fisher will anchor the Panthers' line, while Liberty expects Marcel Cleckley, Aaron Tedys, Matt Tedys, Dylan Marketich and Vincent Howells will emerge as rising talent at the skill positions.
“We've got a different type of speed that we didn't have last year, with a couple of kids coming,” Liberty said.
Riverside is focusing on its season opener against South Fayette, a team that went 5-2 in the Century Conference and advanced to the WPIAL quarterfinals.
“We've got a tough schedule,” Liberty said. “My job is to take each game each week.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- Pitt AD Barnes has enjoyed varied career in college sports
- Elites, media & character
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- Man fatally shot in McKees Rocks identified
- Young defensemen make case for future with Penguins
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- More than 2,200 confirmed dead in Nepal earthquake