First-year Charleroi coach familiar with new team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ed Jenkins may be entering his first year as the football coach at Charleroi, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know the players.
“Being a coach at Southmoreland, I was able to game plan against Charleroi,” he said.
“So I am familiar with what the guys can do.”
Jenkins said he has a nice mix of experience coming back to go along with some young players.
“The guys coming back will bring the young guys along,” he said. “We have experience and they need to step up. Thus far, the older kids have done just that with our offseason program.”
Jenkins and the Cougars hit the ground running in January.
“I am happy with the turnout and effort,” he said. “We placed expectations on our kids with the offseason program, and for the large part the kids have responded.
“We are getting stronger. Guys are committed to getting this on the right track. I couldn't be happier.”
Jenkins will lean on a trio of juniors to lead, including fullback/middle linebacker Brandon Bowman, center Chase McKevitt and Eric Johnson, who is transitioning from quarterback to wide receiver.
With Johnson's move, junior Brennan Matthews, who filled in last year for an injured Johnson, will be the signal caller and will have junior Dakota Moorer among his targets.
Jenkins, who was head coach at Leechburg in 2005, said his team has to get off to a quick start in the Interstate Conference as the Cougars play three of their first four games at home.
“It is very important to get off to a fast start at home,” Jenkins said. “Our schedule is challenging early, but we are fortunate to have three of them at home.
“I would rather do that in the confines of Cougar Stadium instead of on the road.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds
- Boston College football coach Addazio can’t get enough of the game