Expectations high for Laurel after again joining Big 7
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Laurel may keep changing classifications, but at least the Spartans are familiar with their latest landing spot.
Two seasons after jumping to Class AA, Laurel finds itself back in the Big 7 Conference — its former home — as a result of the WPIAL's realignment.
“It's just a learning thing all over again when you go into a new conference,” coach Jerry Holzhauser said. “You learn from good scouting. The reputations of those schools are there already, so we know there'll be good, tough football players and good coaching.”
In 2009, Laurel's last season in the Big 7, the Spartans finished in second and advanced to the WPIAL semifinals.
To duplicate that feat, Laurel will have to replace the production of running back Dylan Jones, who had 1,176 yards and 13 touchdowns last season, when the Spartans finished tied for fifth in Class AA's Midwestern Conference.
Laurel will lean on an experienced offensive line to help whoever steps into that void, Holzhauser said.
“It's hard to replace Dylan — he set all the school records at running back, and he was just an exceptional player for us,” Holzhauser said. “We know we're not going to replace him, but hopefully some kids will step up.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Route 22 closed in Delmont after tractor-trailer crash at cloverleaf
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- 80 percent of drivers found exceeding speed limit in Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park
- More witness intimidation charges are filed against Plum teacher
- Snappers treat revitalizes Lawrenceville’s Edward Marc Brands chocolatier
- Presque Isle Downs cancels thoroughbred races due to running deer
- Pittsburgh Public Works supervisor disciplined for text message
- St. Vincent professor, students use interviews for drug addiction data
- Supreme Court justices ream EPA for ignoring costs to meet air standards
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke