Playoff experience valuable to returning West Beaver players
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Western Beaver coach Matt Gray believes postseason experience helps teams in future seasons.
If that's true, the Golden Beavers' back-to-back WPIAL playoff appearances should come in handy this fall.
“It's always nice when you do kind of well for your young guys because it gives them a little bit of extra experience,” Gray said. “They've dealt with it. We're in a really tough conference, and I think last year helps us build for this year.”
The Golden Beavers finished third in the Big 7 Conference before falling to Brentwood, 20-12, in the first round of the playoffs last season.
Two of the top playmakers — Eric Blinn and Eastern Michigan signee Dustin Creel — are gone from that team, but Gray has faith that returning players such as Zach Perry, Billy Drear and Hunter Roknich can pick up the slack.
Western Beaver had a young team overall in 2011, a big reason why Gray believes the playoff experience was so important.
“(The players) know what you're talking about,” Gray said. “If you've never been to the playoffs, they don't understand. It only comes when you experience it — the intensity picks up, everything picks up. If you like that and you like that experience, you want to feel it again, you want to do it again.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Mont. senator’s thesis appears to have been plagarized
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Truck drivers taken to hospital after Pa. Turnpike crash in Butler County
- Fitzgerald stacks legislative wins as Allegheny council members struggle
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- Rising number of health care workers have less than 4-year degree, study shows
- Health insurers will refund $5.2M to Pa. subscribers, group plans