Playoff experience valuable to returning West Beaver players
By Doug Gulasy
Published: Thursday, August 23, 2012, 6:54 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, August 23, 2012
Western Beaver coach Matt Gray believes postseason experience helps teams in future seasons.
If that's true, the Golden Beavers' back-to-back WPIAL playoff appearances should come in handy this fall.
“It's always nice when you do kind of well for your young guys because it gives them a little bit of extra experience,” Gray said. “They've dealt with it. We're in a really tough conference, and I think last year helps us build for this year.”
The Golden Beavers finished third in the Big 7 Conference before falling to Brentwood, 20-12, in the first round of the playoffs last season.
Two of the top playmakers — Eric Blinn and Eastern Michigan signee Dustin Creel — are gone from that team, but Gray has faith that returning players such as Zach Perry, Billy Drear and Hunter Roknich can pick up the slack.
Western Beaver had a young team overall in 2011, a big reason why Gray believes the playoff experience was so important.
“(The players) know what you're talking about,” Gray said. “If you've never been to the playoffs, they don't understand. It only comes when you experience it — the intensity picks up, everything picks up. If you like that and you like that experience, you want to feel it again, you want to do it again.”
- Penguins GM Shero: ‘Whole idea’ was improvement during playoffs
- Robinson: Steelers rookie Wheaton could be impact receiver
- Key acquisitions have Penguins primed for run to Stanley Cup
- Ribbon, wristband solemn reminders for Penguins coach Bylsma
- Veteran Clark envisions finishing career as a member of Steelers
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- Starkey: Pirates’ Huntington never looked so good
- Marijuana supporters rally at the Point
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- Lap of luxury: Not just royal babies get posh treatment
- Study finds concerns in water quality
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.