Beth-Center to defend Tri-County South title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Beth-Center football coach Ed Woods isn't a fan of what the WPIAL football committee did to the Tri-County South Conference.
By moving California and Monessen to the Black Hills Conference and replacing them with Avella and Bentworth, Beth-Center lost two of its rivals and most competitive games.
Avella (0-9) and Bentworth (1-8) were a combined 1-17 last season, while California (7-3) and Monessen (6-4) were each playoff teams.
Beth-Center went 8-0 and rolled to a conference title last year. The Bulldogs' closest conference game a year ago was a 33-21 victory against Frazier in Week 1.
Woods must replace numerous three-year starters from that squad, including quarterback Sal Faieta, wide receiver DeShan Brown and running back Jake Sofran.
“They were a lot of our offense,” Woods said. “We have a lot of question marks. We were fortunate that a lot of our games were blowouts and a lot of players saw varsity action. Our younger players have a lot of experience.”
Geno Faieta is expected to take over for his brother at quarterback, speedster Cody Durant and Matt Riggle will share running duties, and C.J. Novak has good quickness and good hands as another skill player.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM prepares for emotional series against Carolina
- Phipps holiday show is flowery winter wonderland
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Aerobics center offers services to Greensburg VFD
- Fashion FYI: Wearable art open house set in Jeannette
- Youngwood gets 1st full-size grocery in nearly 20 years
- Historic Greensburg Art Center joins Cat’s Meow collection
- 3 sets of siblings help Greensburg Central Catholic volleyball achieve championship success
- Holidays are perfect for a fresh take on wearing sequins
- ‘Streetcar’ follows track of well-worn period atmosphere
- Greensburg police captain to attend highly selective academy