Beth-Center to defend Tri-County South title
By Paul Schofield
Published: Thursday, August 23, 2012, 6:56 p.m.
Updated: Friday, August 24, 2012
Beth-Center football coach Ed Woods isn't a fan of what the WPIAL football committee did to the Tri-County South Conference.
By moving California and Monessen to the Black Hills Conference and replacing them with Avella and Bentworth, Beth-Center lost two of its rivals and most competitive games.
Avella (0-9) and Bentworth (1-8) were a combined 1-17 last season, while California (7-3) and Monessen (6-4) were each playoff teams.
Beth-Center went 8-0 and rolled to a conference title last year. The Bulldogs' closest conference game a year ago was a 33-21 victory against Frazier in Week 1.
Woods must replace numerous three-year starters from that squad, including quarterback Sal Faieta, wide receiver DeShan Brown and running back Jake Sofran.
“They were a lot of our offense,” Woods said. “We have a lot of question marks. We were fortunate that a lot of our games were blowouts and a lot of players saw varsity action. Our younger players have a lot of experience.”
Geno Faieta is expected to take over for his brother at quarterback, speedster Cody Durant and Matt Riggle will share running duties, and C.J. Novak has good quickness and good hands as another skill player.
- Steelers might be forced to rely on rookies in 2013
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Gorman: Pitt hoops could soon have Western Pa. flavor
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Pirates starters Locke, Wandy enjoying good fortune
- Baldwin High is track mecca for WPIAL athletes
- Denigrating medicine: ObamaCare turns physicians into assembly line workers
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.