Local notebook: Deer Lakes junior selected for showcase
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Power-hitting first baseman Sierra “CiCi” Sarver basically earned postseason royalty this past season for the Deer Lakes softball team when she delivered several game-winning hits for the WPIAL champions.
Now, Sarver gets to be a queen.
The incoming junior has been selected for the sixth annual Queen of Diamonds Showcase South set for Aug. 25-26 at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, S.C.
The Showcase South draws top talent from more than 30 states and two Canadian Provinces.
Sarver hit .421 with two home runs and 28 RBI and did not strike out all season.
Sarver also plays for the Pittsburgh Power Gold travel team.
Nolf staying busy
Kittanning star wrestler Jason Nolf has had a busy, yet productive summer. The incoming junior earned Outstanding Wrestler honors last month at the Disney Duals in Orlando, a team tournament that included more than 70 teams from around the country. Nolf finished with a 12-0 record in the 125-pound weight class.
Nolf (86-1 in his prep career) wrestles for the Young Guns Black Club.
He was 10-0 in the National High School Coaches Association Duals tournament over Memorial Day weekend in Virginia Beach.
He's also had competitive/training stops in Michigan and Iowa. The bulkier Nolf has dabbled in the 140-pound weight class.
He is ranked No. 7 in the country among 113-pounders by Intermat, but will likely move up in weight this winter.
Armstrong School District's board of directors have approved a cooperative arrangement that will allow Ford City students to join Kittanning's boys soccer team.
The arrangement is pending formal approval by the WPIAL and PIAA.
Kittanning will retain its Class AA status in the WPIAL.
The district also has re-established a girls soccer program that will represent Kittanning but will draw players from all three of the district's high schools.
The fall sports season is fast-approaching. Official practices begin Aug. 13 for football, soccer, golf, girls tennis, girls volleyball, cross country and field hockey.
The first play date for golf is Aug. 16, while tennis is Aug. 20. All of the other sports open Aug. 31.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-224-2696 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Rivers Casino sued by family of patron who died in car crash
- Former walk-ons may lose scholarships under Penn State’s Franklin
- Last crew member of Enola Gay dies in Georgia
- Xxxday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Satisfy your sweet tooth in Pittsburgh with treats from ethnic bakeries
- 2 killed in East Huntingdon crash
- Pittsburgh native enjoys riding the roller coaster of stand-up comedy
- Healthy Eating: A Mediterranean twist to tuna salad