High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Geibel goalie saves game during shootout, beats Carlynton
- Connellsville falls to Seneca Valley in first-round soccer playoff game
- Serra Catholic boys soccer team loses WPIAL 1st-round game to Avonworth, 1-0
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Riverview embracing underdog role in WPIAL first-round win
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert