High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
By Kevin Gorman
Published: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, August 21, 2012
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
- Steelers rookie WR moves on after PSU scandal
- Man attacked by dog in Carrick cemetery
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Spezza gets back on ice for Senators
- Penguins notebook: Vitale a no-go
- Tough summer schedule helped Hempfield baseball team
- Guns a public health issue
- Deer Lakes baseball team continues to thrive
- Campus Clippings: Alle-Kiski players boost Allegheny College softball
- Penguins blow late lead, lose to Senators in 2nd OT
- Alvarez blast lifts Pirates past Astros
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.