High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Penguins make moves in advance of roster deadline
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Medical Examiner identifies Baldwin Borough couple who died in murder-suicide
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- Johnstown man accused of sexual misconduct at state park
- Wolf still seeking to raise income tax, impose tax on shale-gas drilling
- Cat found shot with arrow in Penn Township expected to survive
- Top U.S. general wants more troops in Afghanistan
- New Steelers kicker Boswell ready for challenge at Heinz
- Abbas appeals for end to chaos with Israel