High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Report: Man jumps from Tarentum Bridge
- Pirates’ attempts to bolster roster at deadline a fruitless endeavor
- Steelers notebook: Shoulder pads get technological boost for Ravens game
- Pirates notebook: Marte to begin rehab stint at Triple-A Saturday
- EPA talks on pollution limits trigger protests, arrests Downtown
- Spaling, Penguins agree to $4.4 million deal
- Shooting investigation leads to large marijuana grow in Monessen
- Calm and quick Leechburg bank robber sought
- Notorious killer Baumhammers granted public defender
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’