Mt. Pleasant’s Mellors hoping to build on solid finish to 2011 campaign
By Jason Black
Published: Friday, August 24, 2012, 1:26 a.m.
Updated: Friday, August 24, 2012
For Mt. Pleasant running back Tyler Mellors, the 2011 season began with a tough break.
Mellors broke his right ankle during a scrimmage with Indiana and was forced to miss the first six games of the regular season. Mellors was one of many Mt. Pleasant players who suffered injuries at some point last season, which ended with a first-round playoff loss to Washington.
“When we were going through some tough games that we lost, I felt horrible,” Mellors said, recalling difficult defeats against Ellwood City and Greensburg Central Catholic. “All I could do was sit there and watch.”
Mellors had to wear a walking boot for nearly a month and was forced to do several weeks of rehabilitation. However, he did the work necessary to come back strong from the injury and was a key contributor to the Vikings' late-season surge to the playoffs. In four games, Mellors rushed for 495 yards and five touchdowns on 59 carries. He also caught nine passes for 112 yards.
“It felt great that I could come back and be the same player,” Mellors said.
Although Mellors missed a large portion of last season, the Vikings had players step up and fill the role.
“Dalton Bull and Paul Caletri came in and did a super job,” coach Bo Ruffner said. “But Tyler gives us a different type of running back. He is an explosive player for us on the offensive side of the ball. He is able to do special things that you just can't coach. We're looking forward to having him back (for a full season).”
In his junior season, Mellors fully expects an increased role in the Mt. Pleasant offense.
“I think I'll have more to do, and I love it,” Mellors said.
He's hoping for a 1,000-yard season for himself, but more importantly, he's working to help the team accomplish its goals.
“Our team goal is to go to the WPIAL finals,” Mellors said. “That would be a good start.”
Mellors also will play linebacker.
Jason Black is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-626-3534.
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Sisters ejected from Pennsylvania mall for profane cancer hats
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Peduto secures Democratic nomination for Pittsburgh mayor
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.