Geibel football forfeits 1st 2 games
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Faced with several injuries suffered during Saturday's scrimmage against Wilkinsburg, the Geibel football team made the decision to forfeit its first two games of the season.
The Gators will not take the field Friday at Frazier, and they will forfeit their first home game against Beth-Center, which was scheduled for Sept. 8.
Geibel currently has a roster comprised of just 13 players (the minimum amount required by the WPIAL). The injuries forced Geibel below the minimum, prompting the decision to forfeit the first two games.
“After talking to Mr. O'Malley (Tim O'Malley, the executive director of the WPIAL), we were told we would not have to forfeit the season because we expect our injured players to return shortly,” Geibel athletic director Shawn Holup said. “We were allowed to play it week by week. We can return to play on Sept. 15 (at home against Vincentian Academy). This will allow us to finish the season, and with a young team, still be eligible to play next year. Our school administration thought this would be best.”
Geibel first-year coach Sean Benjamin met with his players to discuss the situation Tuesday afternoon.
“It's definitely disappointing,” Benjamin said. “We were looking forward to our first game against Frazier, but with these circumstances, we just have to do the right thing.”
— Jason Black
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man charged with playing doctor for free Nemacolin stay
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Davis becomes 1st African-American to be named vice chair of Allegheny County Democratic Committee
- Murrysville athlete runs obstacle course for charity — 7 times
- Nor’easter causing flight delays at Pittsburgh International
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- Cancer didn’t stop mother from living for her son
- 12-year-old rescues 4-year-old from burning house in Homestead