Geibel football forfeits 1st 2 games
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Faced with several injuries suffered during Saturday's scrimmage against Wilkinsburg, the Geibel football team made the decision to forfeit its first two games of the season.
The Gators will not take the field Friday at Frazier, and they will forfeit their first home game against Beth-Center, which was scheduled for Sept. 8.
Geibel currently has a roster comprised of just 13 players (the minimum amount required by the WPIAL). The injuries forced Geibel below the minimum, prompting the decision to forfeit the first two games.
“After talking to Mr. O'Malley (Tim O'Malley, the executive director of the WPIAL), we were told we would not have to forfeit the season because we expect our injured players to return shortly,” Geibel athletic director Shawn Holup said. “We were allowed to play it week by week. We can return to play on Sept. 15 (at home against Vincentian Academy). This will allow us to finish the season, and with a young team, still be eligible to play next year. Our school administration thought this would be best.”
Geibel first-year coach Sean Benjamin met with his players to discuss the situation Tuesday afternoon.
“It's definitely disappointing,” Benjamin said. “We were looking forward to our first game against Frazier, but with these circumstances, we just have to do the right thing.”
— Jason Black
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Consumer, core prices inch up
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Karns City soccer teams advance
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Leader Times Q&A: Redbank Valley’s Wyatt Hetrick
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- SEC approves looser mortgage lending guidelines
- Contempt citation sought by state against Highmark for alleged violation of deal with UPMC
- The Leader eager for Kittanning finale
- Highmark seeks double-digit increase for more benefits, heavy use