Geibel football forfeits 1st 2 games
Published: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 6:36 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Faced with several injuries suffered during Saturday's scrimmage against Wilkinsburg, the Geibel football team made the decision to forfeit its first two games of the season.
The Gators will not take the field Friday at Frazier, and they will forfeit their first home game against Beth-Center, which was scheduled for Sept. 8.
Geibel currently has a roster comprised of just 13 players (the minimum amount required by the WPIAL). The injuries forced Geibel below the minimum, prompting the decision to forfeit the first two games.
“After talking to Mr. O'Malley (Tim O'Malley, the executive director of the WPIAL), we were told we would not have to forfeit the season because we expect our injured players to return shortly,” Geibel athletic director Shawn Holup said. “We were allowed to play it week by week. We can return to play on Sept. 15 (at home against Vincentian Academy). This will allow us to finish the season, and with a young team, still be eligible to play next year. Our school administration thought this would be best.”
Geibel first-year coach Sean Benjamin met with his players to discuss the situation Tuesday afternoon.
“It's definitely disappointing,” Benjamin said. “We were looking forward to our first game against Frazier, but with these circumstances, we just have to do the right thing.”
— Jason Black
- Police charge 3 in burglary
- Leechburg Area coaches mixed about move to Heritage
- Grilli blows 1st save; Pirates lose to Reds in 13 innings
- Judge deals setback to Steelers’ quest to expand Heinz Field
- Charleroi Regional ousts police officer
- Alonzo Bodden: Makes you laugh (when he’s not donating kidneys)
- Students learn skills through simulation lab
- Penguins’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- Anglers, others don’t want Kingston dam to go
- Three killed when minivan crashes into tree in Butler County
- Art enhances Natrona’s summer program for children