Clairton Watch: Bears set to open season at Char-Houston
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After breaking Braddock's 51-year-old WPIAL record for consecutive victories last December, Clairton has set its sights on the state mark.
The Bears own a nation's-best 47-game winning streak, and are aware that they can eclipse Central Bucks West's 59-game win streak from 1997-2000 by going undefeated and winning a fifth consecutive WPIAL title.
“They are aware of it because we say things about it all the time,” Clairton coach Tom Nola said.
“We've got to find something every year. Three years ago, we were 15-1, so the next motivating force was to go 16-0. Two years ago, it was to repeat. Last year, the motivating force was to get to 47. This year, it's to get to 60.”
— Compiled by Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1
- Secret judicial ruling blocks release of sexually explicit emails
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- Franklin Regional security guard fighting to get job back
- Veteran Keisel settles into role with Steelers
- Pitt’s obscure opener still matters
- DEP releases details of cases of drinking well contamination from drilling
- Gas drilling company withdraws application for forced pooling in Western Pennsylvania
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Trueman sparks North Allegheny’s 14-0 victory over Seneca Valley