Clairton Watch: Bears set to open season at Char-Houston
By Kevin Gorman
Published: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 8:54 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, August 30, 2012
After breaking Braddock's 51-year-old WPIAL record for consecutive victories last December, Clairton has set its sights on the state mark.
The Bears own a nation's-best 47-game winning streak, and are aware that they can eclipse Central Bucks West's 59-game win streak from 1997-2000 by going undefeated and winning a fifth consecutive WPIAL title.
“They are aware of it because we say things about it all the time,” Clairton coach Tom Nola said.
“We've got to find something every year. Three years ago, we were 15-1, so the next motivating force was to go 16-0. Two years ago, it was to repeat. Last year, the motivating force was to get to 47. This year, it's to get to 60.”
— Compiled by Kevin Gorman
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- K9 patrols return in Lower Burrell
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Goalie Anderson stands tall in Senators’ victory over Penguins
- Mt. Washington's Grandview Avenue isn't looking so great these days
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Penguins notebook: Vitale a no-go
- Lawrenceville native strives to fly from world’s wonders
- Hundreds of races, but light turnout expected for primary in Westmoreland
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.