Clairton Watch: Bears set to open season at Char-Houston
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After breaking Braddock's 51-year-old WPIAL record for consecutive victories last December, Clairton has set its sights on the state mark.
The Bears own a nation's-best 47-game winning streak, and are aware that they can eclipse Central Bucks West's 59-game win streak from 1997-2000 by going undefeated and winning a fifth consecutive WPIAL title.
“They are aware of it because we say things about it all the time,” Clairton coach Tom Nola said.
“We've got to find something every year. Three years ago, we were 15-1, so the next motivating force was to go 16-0. Two years ago, it was to repeat. Last year, the motivating force was to get to 47. This year, it's to get to 60.”
— Compiled by Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- Fatal HOV lane crash in Ross under investigation
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Outdoors notices: Nov. 30, 2015
- Travelers advised to arrive 2 hours early for flights from Pittsburgh International Airport
- Outdoors notebook: Multiyear license buyers fish more often
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Man surrenders after standoff in Middle Hill
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Anti-drug agencies find key ally in battling overdoses: Addicts