Clairton Watch: Bears set to open season at Char-Houston
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After breaking Braddock's 51-year-old WPIAL record for consecutive victories last December, Clairton has set its sights on the state mark.
The Bears own a nation's-best 47-game winning streak, and are aware that they can eclipse Central Bucks West's 59-game win streak from 1997-2000 by going undefeated and winning a fifth consecutive WPIAL title.
“They are aware of it because we say things about it all the time,” Clairton coach Tom Nola said.
“We've got to find something every year. Three years ago, we were 15-1, so the next motivating force was to go 16-0. Two years ago, it was to repeat. Last year, the motivating force was to get to 47. This year, it's to get to 60.”
— Compiled by Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Funeral for Joey Fabus, honorary Bethel Park police officer, draws crowd
- Leechburg Road to reopen after two-vehicle accident
- Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit
- Nor’easter threatens Northeast with up to 2 feet of snow
- ‘Free’ wine kiosk initiative costs state Liquor Control Board $300K
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- Chips in pucks, jerseys could alter how NHL games are analyzed
- Linemen commit to PSU, boosting Franklin’s recruiting class
- Bloomfield bookstore owner bucks naysayers
- Energy companies vie for experienced workers with skills in high demand