Clairton Watch: Bears set to open season at Char-Houston
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After breaking Braddock's 51-year-old WPIAL record for consecutive victories last December, Clairton has set its sights on the state mark.
The Bears own a nation's-best 47-game winning streak, and are aware that they can eclipse Central Bucks West's 59-game win streak from 1997-2000 by going undefeated and winning a fifth consecutive WPIAL title.
“They are aware of it because we say things about it all the time,” Clairton coach Tom Nola said.
“We've got to find something every year. Three years ago, we were 15-1, so the next motivating force was to go 16-0. Two years ago, it was to repeat. Last year, the motivating force was to get to 47. This year, it's to get to 60.”
— Compiled by Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Corbett, Wolf resort to sticks, stones to attract attention
- Critics claim state Attorney General Kane puts politics first
- Lower Burrell man charged with shoplifting
- DEP orders cleanup of former Jeannette Glass property to resume
- New Kensington to convert tennis courts to dek hockey rink
- Freeport man accused of having child pornography images
- Monsour hospital properties sold at free-and-clear sale
- Fire at Flight 93 National Memorial hints at struggle to safeguard historic artifacts