Clairton Watch: Bears set to open season at Char-Houston
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After breaking Braddock's 51-year-old WPIAL record for consecutive victories last December, Clairton has set its sights on the state mark.
The Bears own a nation's-best 47-game winning streak, and are aware that they can eclipse Central Bucks West's 59-game win streak from 1997-2000 by going undefeated and winning a fifth consecutive WPIAL title.
“They are aware of it because we say things about it all the time,” Clairton coach Tom Nola said.
“We've got to find something every year. Three years ago, we were 15-1, so the next motivating force was to go 16-0. Two years ago, it was to repeat. Last year, the motivating force was to get to 47. This year, it's to get to 60.”
— Compiled by Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Burnett writing incredible final chapter
- Alvarez’s walk-off single lifts Pirates over Padres
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game
- 5 juveniles injured in Washington County crash
- BURIED HISTORY
- Connellsville kicks off farmers market
- Crazy Mocha owner likes comfort, says shrewd decisions foster growth
- Dorfman: Perfect 10 Portfolio has just enough sizzle
- Torn thumb ligament puts Pirates’ Harrison on 15-day disabled list
- Roundup: Prices for some Starbucks drinks to go up; more
- Trial in Monessen homicide of drug dealer nears start