Clairton Watch: Bears set to open season at Char-Houston
By Kevin Gorman
Published: Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012, 8:54 p.m.
After breaking Braddock's 51-year-old WPIAL record for consecutive victories last December, Clairton has set its sights on the state mark.
The Bears own a nation's-best 47-game winning streak, and are aware that they can eclipse Central Bucks West's 59-game win streak from 1997-2000 by going undefeated and winning a fifth consecutive WPIAL title.
“They are aware of it because we say things about it all the time,” Clairton coach Tom Nola said.
“We've got to find something every year. Three years ago, we were 15-1, so the next motivating force was to go 16-0. Two years ago, it was to repeat. Last year, the motivating force was to get to 47. This year, it's to get to 60.”
— Compiled by Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fire destroys Eau Claire market, no injuries reported
- Pa. unemployment rate at the lowest since 2008; more workers finding jobs
- Survivors in critical condition a day after fifth Armstrong County car crash victim dies
- Donald turns down New York invite for NFL Draft
- Man found fatally shot in Larimer a mile away from Homewood peace march
- Chat with Dejan Kovacevic: April 18, 2014
- Pens insider: Penalty killing a concern in Stanley Cup playoffs
- Captain of sunken ferry arrested, South Korean agency reports
- ‘Going downtown’ with dad, mom in ’50s among Connellsville native’s treasured memories
- Pirates Charities 50/50 raffle to benefit We R FR Fund
- Bikers plan Bataan Death March memorial ride