Clairton Watch: Bears set to open season at Char-Houston
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After breaking Braddock's 51-year-old WPIAL record for consecutive victories last December, Clairton has set its sights on the state mark.
The Bears own a nation's-best 47-game winning streak, and are aware that they can eclipse Central Bucks West's 59-game win streak from 1997-2000 by going undefeated and winning a fifth consecutive WPIAL title.
“They are aware of it because we say things about it all the time,” Clairton coach Tom Nola said.
“We've got to find something every year. Three years ago, we were 15-1, so the next motivating force was to go 16-0. Two years ago, it was to repeat. Last year, the motivating force was to get to 47. This year, it's to get to 60.”
— Compiled by Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Hockey hypocrites, unite
- Prime time not kind to Heinz Field
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- State police trooper seriously hurt when hit by vehicle in East Huntingdon
- Penguins veteran defenseman Scuderi’s game looking up
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger, offense must adjust with CB Smith out
- Apple CEO Tim Cook: ‘I’m proud to be gay’
- Lifesharing allows families to open homes, hearts to disabled
- Kiski Valley-based ring charged with hundreds of thefts over 10 communities
- Ferrante murder trial heads into day 6 with testimony on cyanide, Web searches
- Clairton police rounding up street-level drug dealers