Franklin Regional scores girls golf win over 2011 state champs
Franklin Regional picked up its biggest girls golf win in years last Thursday, when it defeated defending state champion Shady Side Academy, 186-190, at Murrysville Golf Course.
Breanna Molinaro led the Panthers with a 41, Alex Schwab had a 42, Brenna Scott shot 51, and Jordan Woyt shot 52.
FR's balance helped the team overcome the 36 of Shannon Gramley, as Shady Side Academy had to take two 54s in its team total.
The Panthers go on the road Sept. 4 to face Indiana at Meadow Lane Golf Club in a match beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Tennis goes 2-0
FR also is off to a good start on the tennis courts after picking up a pair of 5-0 wins in Section 1-AAA play over Norwin and Kiski Area.
The Panthers' singles players were dominant, as No. 1 singles player Natalia Perry did not drop a game.
Combined with singles players Lauren and Jenna Bailey, FR has lost seven singles games in two matches as a team.
In doubles, Brittany Weiner and Victoria Zhang have yet to drop a set, while Sana Seth and Grayce Behnke are 2-0 after rallying for a three-set win over Norwin.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State police say escaped Armstrong County inmate has been captured
- Judge rules McCullough guilty of taking money from elderly woman’s estate
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
- Emails among Governor Wolf’s aides reveal concern over AG Kane
- Former Virginia Governor Gilmore joins 520 vying for presidency
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Pitt, McConnell-Serio agree to new contract through 2020-21 season
- Warrant issued for man accused of killing Brookline woman