Franklin Regional scores girls golf win over 2011 state champs
Published: Tuesday, August 28, 2012, 7:56 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, August 30, 2012
Franklin Regional picked up its biggest girls golf win in years last Thursday, when it defeated defending state champion Shady Side Academy, 186-190, at Murrysville Golf Course.
Breanna Molinaro led the Panthers with a 41, Alex Schwab had a 42, Brenna Scott shot 51, and Jordan Woyt shot 52.
FR's balance helped the team overcome the 36 of Shannon Gramley, as Shady Side Academy had to take two 54s in its team total.
The Panthers go on the road Sept. 4 to face Indiana at Meadow Lane Golf Club in a match beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Tennis goes 2-0
FR also is off to a good start on the tennis courts after picking up a pair of 5-0 wins in Section 1-AAA play over Norwin and Kiski Area.
The Panthers' singles players were dominant, as No. 1 singles player Natalia Perry did not drop a game.
Combined with singles players Lauren and Jenna Bailey, FR has lost seven singles games in two matches as a team.
In doubles, Brittany Weiner and Victoria Zhang have yet to drop a set, while Sana Seth and Grayce Behnke are 2-0 after rallying for a three-set win over Norwin.
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Bilik DeFazio leads race on both ballots
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Snider’s grand slam pushes Pirates to late victory over Cubs
- ‘We did it!’ Peduto tells city, as he defeats Wagner
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.