Franklin Regional scores girls golf win over 2011 state champs
Franklin Regional picked up its biggest girls golf win in years last Thursday, when it defeated defending state champion Shady Side Academy, 186-190, at Murrysville Golf Course.
Breanna Molinaro led the Panthers with a 41, Alex Schwab had a 42, Brenna Scott shot 51, and Jordan Woyt shot 52.
FR's balance helped the team overcome the 36 of Shannon Gramley, as Shady Side Academy had to take two 54s in its team total.
The Panthers go on the road Sept. 4 to face Indiana at Meadow Lane Golf Club in a match beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Tennis goes 2-0
FR also is off to a good start on the tennis courts after picking up a pair of 5-0 wins in Section 1-AAA play over Norwin and Kiski Area.
The Panthers' singles players were dominant, as No. 1 singles player Natalia Perry did not drop a game.
Combined with singles players Lauren and Jenna Bailey, FR has lost seven singles games in two matches as a team.
In doubles, Brittany Weiner and Victoria Zhang have yet to drop a set, while Sana Seth and Grayce Behnke are 2-0 after rallying for a three-set win over Norwin.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Players respect coach, refuse to blame Johnston
- Rogue Catholics in Society of St. Pius X to reopen West End church
- Eagle egg breaks, parents abandon nest
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- Couple taken into custody after 8-hour standoff in Hempfield
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- Penguins coach Johnston’s mother dies
- Cal U women win Division II national title with 86-69 win
- Westmoreland officials fear loss of impact fees
- Pa. woman charged with forging docs to claim she was an attorney