Pietropola to be a guest on new TV show
Plum senior Mia Pietropola, a member of the Mustangs varsity cross country, swimming and track and field teams, will be a guest on the debut of the Hines Ward Show on Saturday.
The show is at 7:30 p.m. on WPXI-TV (Channel 11), but the show's start time will depend on how long NBC's coverage of Notre Dame's home football game against Purdue runs.
The game is scheduled to kick off at 3:30.
The segment of the Hines Ward Show featuring Pietropola will be taped Thursday.
Pietropola is expected to discuss overcoming hearing loss to excel in sports at Plum and in life overall.
In April, Pietropola was selected as western Pennsylvania's “Most Positive High School Athlete” in the sport of girls swimming and diving by Positive Athlete, an organization created by Ward.
She was one of 25 winners representing a variety of boys and girls sports in western Pennsylvania, and she received the award from Ward at a ceremony at the Sen. John Heinz History Center Sports Museum in Downtown Pittsburgh.
Pietropola was nominated for the award by Plum varsity head swim coach Kelly Haupt.
Pietropola is distance running this fall, and she and her Mustangs cross country teammates will run at the annual Red, White and Blue Invitational Saturday at 8 a.m. at Pittsburgh's Schenley Park.
Although Ward is well known for his 14 years as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the show isn't expected to be just about football.
“Given his broad appeal to a large audience, Hines has the chops to tackle topics that may be a bit non-traditional for an ex-athlete,” WPXI-TV vice president Ray Carter said in a press release last month.
“The show will be fun and fascinating.”
Ward joins fellow retired Steelers star Jerome Bettis on WPXI-TV. Bettis also has a Saturday night show on the station.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Suspects in SWAT incident in Pittsburgh identified
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- Deadly snake bites on the rise in Western Pa.
- 2 killed in single-vehicle crash in Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh police motorcycle officer seriously injured in crash
- College Board alternative pushed