Latrobe wins, Norwin senior Repicky earns medal at WCCAs
After two years as runner-up, Latrobe is back atop the county on the links.
The Wildcats' score of 402 easily took first place at the Westmoreland County Coaches Association Golf Championship, while Penn-Trafford finished second with a 426 on Friday at the Latrobe Elks Golf Course.
Latrobe was led by the 77 shot by individual champ Will Wears, the grandson of golf legend Arnold Palmer. The team title was the first for the perennialy-strong program since 2009, as it was second behind Penn-Trafford in 2010 and behind Norwin in 2011.
Greensburg Central Catholic shot a 427 to win the Class AA title and finish tied for third overall with Hempfield. Norwin was sixth with a 437, and Franklin Regional was 11th with a 462 on a day in which scores generally ran high because of dry conditions and hard, fast greens.
Max Doran was the top finisher from a Star-area school, as his round of 79 placed the Penn-Trafford senior in a three-way tie for third. He officially placed fourth after the tournament's tiebreakers were applied. Norwin senior Luke Repicky also earned a medal by placing eighth with a score of 81.
Nick Nguyen of Norwin and Evan Astley of Penn-Trafford missed out on a chance for a medal by one stroke, as they both finished with an 83. Another shot back at 84 were Kory Sandleitner of Norwin and Eddie Zhang, Franklin Regional's top finisher.
Rounding out the Penn-Trafford scores were Justin Guzik with an 85, Dalton Yezovich with an 86, Dom Cervone with a 93 and Trey Brown with a 95.
For Norwin, Kevin Zabelski shot 91, and Jon Shirley and Dan Conwell both shot 98.
Behind Zhang for Franklin Regional were Nate Hlozek with a 91, Matt Fisch with a 92, Hassan Chughtai with a 97, Stephen Jacob with a 98 and Brandon Gallo with a 104.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- Western Pennsylvania schools’ denial of access to roofers prompts suit
- American to halt 2 direct routes from Pittsburgh International
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno from Derry on life support, family says
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- South Fayette native looks forward to competing in Miss America Pageant
- Movement along the offensive line continues for Pitt as opener approaches
- Police: Woman faked Mt. Pleasant robbery
- Picketer found to be at fault in accident at ATI plant