Fox Chapel girls golf team tees off to a fast start
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel Area High School girls golf team has adjusted quickly to life without Katerina Luttner and Emily Lawson, who graduated in June.
“I referred to Katerina and Nadia Luttner and Emily Lawson as the ‘L girls,'” coach John Broderick said. “They were the best three I've ever coached. But we've moved on and we're having success again.”
The Foxes won two of their first three matches, losing to a strong Penn-Trafford team.
“We have Ashley DeMoss back and she's been leading us,” Broderick said.
DeMoss was the medalist against Norwin and Gateway and led the Foxes with a 42 against P-T.
“She's our team captain and she's a very good player,” Broderick said.
Fellow senior Lisa Miele also is a returning starter.
The Foxes have a young team this season.
“We have numbers,” Broderick said. “There are 12 girls on the team and we have two seniors, two juniors, four sophomores and four freshmen. Our freshmen have a lot of potential.”
Of those freshmen, Ciera Miller and Libby Friend should be seeing a lot of time in the lineup. Junior Libby Patrick is also set to contribute.
Rounding out the team will be junior Mia Damian; sophomores Kate Fink, Olivia Heinauer, Isabel Lebovitz and Maren Martin; and freshmen Emily Robosson and Elizabeth Crittenden.
Broderick expects the section race to be exciting.
“There are a lot of good teams,” he said. “We've already seen that Penn-Trafford is tough. Shady Side Academy is always tough. Along with Penn-Trafford, Indiana is new to the section. I'm encouraged with what I've seen so far and we're optimistic about the playoffs.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- Steelers won’t be backed into a corner at NFL Draft
- Crosby’s 2 goals lift Penguins past Rangers, even series
- Fights reported, shots fired outside Monroeville Mall restaurant
- Starkey: Taylor’s type fading away
- Sutter steps up for Penguins in series-tying victory
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Coming off hill revives Seton Hill University, downtown Greensburg
- Penguins notebook: Johnston says Perron needs to shoot
- Crosby says Edmonton would be good spot for prospective top pick McDavid