Gateway progressing in early-season matches
After seven matches and two weeks of Section 4 contests, Gateway varsity boys golf head coach Jason Tyska said he saw some good things from his golfers and also things they can work on to get better.
The Gators entered this week 2-3 in section play and 3-4 overall. Gateway kicked off the section slate with victories over Penn Hills (229-243) at Green Oaks Country Club and Woodland Hills (235-261) at Churchill Country Club, and it also owns a 219-224 nonsection win over North Hills at Churchill.
Junior Bobby Guiliani fired the lowest average score — 40 — through seven matches. He shot sub-40 three times with nine-hole rounds of 38 against Penn Hills, Fox Chapel and North Hills. Guiliani added a 40 in Gateway's 188-228 nonsection loss to North Allegheny at Churchill.
“Bobby has been fairly consistent,” Tyska said.
“He's done well from tee to green, but he knows he can do better once he gets on the greens. He always has high expectations.”
Fellow junior Stephen Reber was the only other team member to record a top-five score in all seven matches. He averaged 42.7 and fired a low score of 41 in the match with Penn Hills.
“Stephen has been working hard to get better,” Tyska said.
“He's better than last year and is hitting the ball farther and straighter. He's been consistent. He has room to grow.”
Tyska said he likes the way senior Anthony Bauccio has become more consistent. He golfed in six of Gateway's first seven matches and carded a low of 42 against Fox Chapel at Churchill last week and a 43 against Woodland Hills.
Also recording top- five scores over the first seven matches were Chris Kranick, Ryan O'Donnell, Ian Kirkpatrick, Corey Dunlap and Ryan Skla- dany.
“Some of the guys need to be more consistent with their scores,” Tyska said.
Gateway, weather permitting, will golf against Plum in a Section 4 match on Thursday at Oakmont Country Club. The match is set for 3:30 p.m.
The Gators were to golf at section foe Kiski Area on Tuesday and at Penn-Trafford yesterday, and both matches were to finish past the deadline for this week's edition.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- EQT Corp. boosts profits despite lower gas prices
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Canada’s PM says shooting rampage was terrorism
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Wanted sex offender caught hiding in homemade fort in Washington County
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Highmark seeks double-digit increase for more benefits, heavy use
- Allegheny County explores state of Mon Valley area health
- Officials identify witness to Port Authority bus crash after releasing photo
- WPIAL, coaches are still looking to schedule Week 9 rivalry games